Clock spring re-install

LavosB

Lurker
May 3, 2020
Hey guys! Anyone with experience on how to re-install this ?? I was trying to install new steering wheel and this came off ... I’m a noob so please help ! 😅

Attachments

• 07D68818-0BE1-40DE-A289-ECC0C57E502B.jpeg
    07D68818-0BE1-40DE-A289-ECC0C57E502B.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Wow
Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Ouch. You can ... certainly rewind the clock spring... but I can't guarantee it will be 100% back to normal.

The ribbon that came out has traces that is read by 'copper fingers'. The pulses tell the car where the wheel is situated. I do not know how sensitive the computer will be to those changes.

I was not correct, it just returns the wheel back to position and powers the airbag. Shouldn't be too bad to rewind it, but I haven't done it before.

Can you source a used one? I found them for as low as $24 on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bmw+e90+clock+spring&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I did this once. I installed the steering wheel and didn't secure it and I pulled back on the steering wheel and ripped it off, spilling the clockspring guts.

You can take it off and rewind it, but the chances of you having it 100% again is not certain like Derek has stated. Unless you're on a budget, just buy a new one for peace of mind.

LavosB

Lurker
May 3, 2020
Ouch. You can ... certainly rewind the clock spring... but I can't guarantee it will be 100% back to normal.

The ribbon that came out has traces that is read by 'copper fingers'. The pulses tell the car where the wheel is situated. I do not know how sensitive the computer will be to those changes.

I was not correct, it just returns the wheel back to position and powers the airbag. Shouldn't be too bad to rewind it, but I haven't done it before.

Can you source a used one? I found them for as low as $24 on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bmw+e90+clock+spring&_sacat=0&_sop=15
Thanks a lot man big help! I’ll probably buy a new one thanks also for the source, I’ll probably buy it there 🙏🏻

Reactions: derekgates

LavosB

Lurker
May 3, 2020

Thanks a lot man big help! I’ll probably buy a new one thanks also for the source, I’ll probably buy it there
I did this once. I installed the steering wheel and didn't secure it and I pulled back on the steering wheel and ripped it off, spilling the clockspring guts.

You can take it off and rewind it, but the chances of you having it 100% again is not certain like Derek has stated. Unless you're on a budget, just buy a new one for peace of mind.

Yes for sure I’m probably buying a new one I don’t want to risk it, thank you for the reply 🙏🏻 Big help!

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Wow. I've had my steering wheel off twice. Didn't know that could happen. Good luck with that. Sorry it happened.