CIC MDrive Menu Coding

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
@aus335iguy

I'd like to document the coding procedures to turn on MDrive in the CIC. Generally this won't do anything, but I'm thinking it may become functional once we switch over to an M3 TCU ZB.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Its no state secret and really easy and if you've used NCS expert to code anything then the process should be familiar
Essentially just go through the CIC trc file and activate all the "m looking stuff"

CIC_MDRIVE

DKG_CIC

EDC_CIC
i haven't tried these personally but they might help ...
M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH
aktiv
M_DIGITAL_TACHO
aktiv
MDRIVE_CONFIG
1_menu
MDRIVE_RUEKO

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Correction you only need to activate 2 items to be able to control the DCT from iDrive (i just went back to stock and did it all over again just to be sure.

CIC_MDRIVE set to ACTIVE this will give you an item called M drive in your CIC settings you can alter Power, DSC and servotronic from here

Add DKG_CIC set to ACTIVE this will give you the drivelogic to control the DCT
There’s another one for EDC and shift lights/limiter

If you want the other items then poke around and change the Tahcometer einheit might help people with M3 clusters to get the shift lights working

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If all i have to do is install an m3 shifter and i can flash the m3GTS zb and i can change shift severity on the fly id be EXTREMELY happy. I dont even care if the tachometer and launch control doesn’t work.
Can you hurry up and try it please? Im already looking for M3 GWS’s on eBay.:)

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
If all i have to do is install an m3 shifter and i can flash the m3GTS zb and i can change shift severity on the fly id be EXTREMELY happy. I dont even care if the tachometer and launch control doesn’t work.
Can you hurry up and try it please? Im already looking for M3 GWS’s on eBay.:)

Same here, but I’m looking at the M3 GWS in my garage

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Went to code my CIC and found that my laptop I use for coding/flashing has bit the dust. Time to get a new coding lapy toppy.

eddie1976

Jan 9, 2018
Ride
BMW E90
Its no state secret and really easy and if you've used NCS expert to code anything then the process should be familiar
Essentially just go through the CIC trc file and activate all the "m looking stuff"
M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH
aktiv
M_DIGITAL_TACHO
aktiv

I set M_DIGITAL_TACHO and M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH to aktiv in my E90 M3 but they don't work.
However, there's a setting called BAUREIHC_CIC, should I change to m3 ?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I set M_DIGITAL_TACHO and M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH to aktiv in my E90 M3 but they don't work.
However, there's a setting called BAUREIHC_CIC, should I change to m3 ?
Mate i have no idea so you may need to try. When i set the two tachometer items to active they appear in the cic under settings, mdrive, shift lights .. i have no idea what BAUREIHC_CIC does and theres only one way to find out! Make sure that you report back.

Attachments

• 4D98D4DC-146A-492E-85E4-00E9C65B8F8D.jpeg
    4D98D4DC-146A-492E-85E4-00E9C65B8F8D.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,782

eddie1976

Jan 9, 2018
Ride
BMW E90
Mate i have no idea so you may need to try. When i set the two tachometer items to active they appear in the cic under settings, mdrive, shift lights .. i have no idea what BAUREIHC_CIC does and theres only one way to find out! Make sure that you report back.

I changed it from e90 to m3, and this is what I got.
So BAUREIHC_CIC has nothing to do with M settings.

Attachments

• IMG_7257.jpg
    IMG_7257.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,693

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ok so ill put down here what the m3 shifter coding might need to be to get it to work.

Once i have more details ill edit this post with any changes. Its going to look sparse to start with but ill add meat to the bones such as screen shots etc as we go along.

@dyezak, @LMB335is and indeed anybody else please also let me know if you spot any errors.

If you haven't used BMW standard tools i would suggest visiting the site "e90 coding" and starting off slow.
Bimmergeeks has an awesome site and if you don't have a cable i would recommend his one, He also has a great set of downloads for the standard tools suite

Also have a look at @LMB335is You tube feed (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUeGQD2A5t2JOKlbo0PnOhXA)
he has a couple of videos. Much of what I've written here has been written by him I've simply copied and pasted and updated the instruction to suit what we're doing)

Start -
FLASH The gearbox to the correct ZB

First to flash the gearbox use WinkFp - It's easily reversible. I would suggest doing a UIF read with INPA and
prt scr to save your original ZB #'s

1) Make sure your WinKFP is configured correctly. If you have any of the UIF boxes checked, you can uncheck them. This will keep you from having to enter the VIN and the flash being counted against the number of flashes allowed.
Make sure that the Bootsector update and faster baud rate is checked

Hook up cable, load WinKFP, turn on car power but don't start. You can load INPA first if you want to make sure you
have a connection just be sure to close it before starting WinKFP.

<<<<<This helped me but may or may not be required - Cable must be connected to computer
Go into control panel device manager, ports, right click the com port mine was 1 then click advanced and changed " selective suspend idle timeout" from 5 seconds to max which is 3600
Others said that they changed latency = 1 ms in com-port settings as well but i couldn't find that ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
com1-jpeg.8416

2) Press F1 Comfort Mode

3) Press F3 Update ZSUB

4) In the ECU family, choose GS40, then OK

5) Press F2 Choose ZSUB

6) In the ECU family again choose GS40 and the ZB number field will
populate. You're looking for 7845773. Find it,
click on it, then click OK. If done correctly the field at the top will
populate with the Assembly ID # which is the ZB# of the flash and a
Hardware #. Click F8 Done. If your UIF boxes are checked it will require
you to enter your full VIN before clicking Done.

7) Press F3 Program. There may be a popup, can't remember for sure off
the top of my head. If you entered your VIN it will tell how many more
times the ECU can be flashed.

8) Flashing begins. It will go to 100% twice, first very quickly, then the
second time will take 2-3 minutes. When done you will get a popup
saying programming done. Click OK, shut off car, remove key, lock up
car, wait 5 minutes, then start the car. You should be good to go. Check
for codes, you may have a few, I always do. Clear them with your tool
of choice. If you have the ability to reset the trans adaptions I'd do that as well

Change VO
Next we need to change VO (see link here for a how to http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-to-modify-vo-vehicle-order/ )
Remove +2TC (dual clutch gearbox)
Add +2MK M Double Clutch Transmission W/ Drivelogic
+2MD M Drive
  1. In NCS Expert, load the Expertmode profile.

2. Press F1 or the VIN/ZCS/FA button.
    Screenshot-5_11_2014-4_35_57-PM.png
  3. Press F3 or the ZCS/FA f. ECU button.
    Screenshot-5_11_2014-4_36_25-PM.png
  4. In the Choose CHASSIS pop-up window, choose the E89 chassis and press the OK button.
    Screenshot-5_11_2014-4_36_43-PM.png
  5. In the Choose ECU pop-up window, choose the CAS ECU and press the OK button.
    Screenshot-5_11_2014-4_36_59-PM.png
  6. The model (CHASSIS), VIN number (FG), and VO (FA) should be displayed in NCS Expert.
    Screenshot-5_11_2014-4_37_19-PM.png
  7. Press F2 or the Enter FA button to modify the VO.
  8. In the Choose CHASSIS pop-up window, choose the E89 chassis and press the OK button.
  9. In the Enter VIN pop-up window, verify that the Vin listed is the correct VIN number for the vehicle. The last digit attached to the VIN number is a checksum. You should not have to change anything on this step. Just verify and press the OK button.
  10. In the Enter FA pop-up screen, for the Attribute text field, input the SA or Service Code.
  11. Remove +2TC (dual clutch gearbox)
    Add +2MK M Double Clutch Transmission W/ Drivelogic
    +2MD M Drive

12. After typing in the code, press the Add button, and verify that the code was listed in the list of FA codes. After verifying, press the OK button.
    -SA codes will begin with a “$”
    -Service Codes will begin with a “+”
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
  13. Press F6 or the Back button.
  14. Press F4 or Process ECU button.
  15. For the Choose ECU pop-up window, select CAS and press the OK button.
  16. Press F2 or the Change job button.
  17. From the Choose job pop-up window, select FA_WRITE and press the OK button.
  18. Under “get coded:”, verify that CAS is the ECU selected to get coded. Also verify the JOBNAME is equal to FA_WRITE, and then press F3 or the Execute job button.
  19. After the job has ended, we need to also write the new VO to the LMA ECU so that it will be both wrote to the CAS and NFRM ECU. Press F1 or Change ECU button.
  20. From the Choose ECU pop-up window, choose the NFRM ECU and press the OK button.
  21. Under “get coded:”, verify that NFRM is the ECU selected to get coded. Also verify the JOBNAME is equal to FA_WRITE, and then press F3 or the Execute job button.
  22. After the coding has ended, you can exit out of NCS Expert.

Reprograming CIC and KOMBI and JBBF
Once you've done that Go to NCS expert and write a blank .MAN file to the KOMBI, NRFM, CIC and JBBF.

This should automatically enable the menu's in the CIC and also have the correct display on the KOMBI as well as allow for communications to go through the main junction box of the car

If you'd like to know more on how to do this go here
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread...default-settings-using-NCS-expertmode-profile

If this doesn't work then we need to use NCSExpert to change some parameters in the CIC and the KOMBI

Changing parameters in the CIC and KOMBI
First in the CIC we need to enable Drive menus and also the DKG sub menu
We do that by making the following parameters active
CIC_MDRIVE and most importantly DKG_CIC

Next we need to fix the tach and we need to change the following parameter in the KOMBI module
DZM_DISP_RPM change from WERT_02 to wert_01
There is some kind of display type that needs to be altered here as well(awaiting further information)

EDIT IVE UPDATED and PDF'd this post so you can print and check it off as you go. If i update ill repost with a different version

Thats all i have so far !

Attachments

• M3 Drivelogic and M Drive on a non M.pdf
    558.5 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

eddie1976

Jan 9, 2018
Ride
BMW E90
<<<<<This helped me but may or may not be required - Cable must be connected to computer
Go into control panel device manager, ports, right click the com port mine was 1 then click advanced and changed " selective suspend idle timeout" from 5 seconds to max which is 3600
Others said that they changed latency = 1 ms in com-port settings as well but i couldn't find that ?

Please check attached image.

Next we need to change VO (see link here for a how to http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-to-modify-vo-vehicle-order/ )
Remove +2TCA(dual clutch gearbox)
Add +2MK(MDCT) and +2MDA (M-Dynamic Drive)

+2MK M Double Clutch Transmission W/ Drivelogic
+2MD M Drive
com1.jpeg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
@aus335iguy I've got some feedback to add later this morning, just want to get some clairification into your post and a few additional details. I think your post is about to become something of a bible for the coding/flashing portion of this conversion for anyone who wants to do this.

I hope to do the same for the hardware components for everyone. Combine @aus335iguy and my posts and we should have a definitive guide on how to completely convert a 335is to full M3 controls.

Right now every single part is an off the shelf BMW part that is readily available on the secondary market except the driveshaft. There are several ways to do the driveshaft, but I'm working with The Driveshaft Shop to hopefully get an off the shelf part number for anyone wanting the conversion.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
My driver is that I like proving things can be done. Once I get it in my head that something that has never been done before can be accomplished I don't stop until it's an epic failure, or a success.

Reactions: doublespaces