Car wont start Key fob malfunction

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
So im leaving the restaurant the other day key fob wasnt working. It wouldnt unlocked the doors or anything so I had to crawl through the trunk to get inside the car. Last night I started to get this key fob with slash through it malfucntion code. As of right now I stick the fob in the slot the car wont even engage in accessory mode. Like no dash lights or anything. I can't even start it. Now I can unlocked the doors using the centrally locking button but the radio and Windows won't work. At first I thought it was the battery but my charger says it's good. Is there any fuses I should be looking at or maybe the cas module is bad?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Okay, well first off, why did you crawl in through the trunk? The drive door has a key hole, right? You may need to pop the cover off in order to access it though.

I'd suspect a dead battery, bad fob or issues with your CAS perhaps?

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Yeah I pop the cover off and there weren't any key holes, My battery is fully charged, and I've check all the fuses. I'm suspecting that the transponder in my key is toast. I put my key fob in the slot and it pulls a symbol of a key with a slash through it. So the car isn't recognizing my key fob. I ordered a new battery so I can solder it in and see if it works. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm going to have to go to the dealership and get a new key

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah I pop the cover off and there weren't any key holes, My battery is fully charged, and I've check all the fuses. I'm suspecting that the transponder in my key is toast. I put my key fob in the slot and it pulls a symbol of a key with a slash through it. So the car isn't recognizing my key fob. I ordered a new battery so I can solder it in and see if it works. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm going to have to go to the dealership and get a new key

That is very strange, I don't recall if there were certain cars that had the key hole or not. I remember my E90 has the cover and my E93 has no cover but the keyhole is there.

I have a feeling the key is bad as well, it does happen. The key on my X5 went out the other day too, so I have to manually lock and unlock the car, irritating.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Yes more than likely a key.. But that's only an assumption. When you get the new key it may not react immediately. Your going to need to put the key in the key holder/zas and hold it there for a few seconds till you get some feedback.

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
Some cars didn't come with the keyhole, seems like it would be an issue with the key itself since your saying it gives you a dash light stating that.