Car dies after starting.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Hey all, recently installed my Stage 2 LPFP. Took it out for a spin 2 nights ago. Drove WOT for ages everything was looking fine
(LPFP sensor has been broken for a while)

Today the car has just broken down. The first code I got was injector cut out.

Now the only code I get is 2FCA.

The car starts for about 2 seconds very poorly and then dies. It won’t stay on though.

Any idea what could be the problem?

I have an EKPM3 which has been coded for new walboro 450

Would a bad sensor cause the car to not even switch on for long ?

click here for a video of fuel pump priming

click here for a video of starting car

This graph is from the video start

Last edited:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Get rid of the codes first. Do the following;

Flash back to stock map.

Plug the vacuum line back in because vacuum leaks are bad. See if this clears up 2BA2.
Disconnect the plug of the actuator inside the car instead. This will give you a 2F6C but is not harmfull.

Check crankshaft sensor cabling and/or replace the sensor

After you've done this, we will investigate the HPFP, EKPM, LPFP and Regulator. But not before you've fixed the obvious codes.
At this moment my best bet is ignition cutout because of a faulty (read: missing) crankshaft positioning sensor.
Hey Frank.

I haven’t fixed the vacuum code, but I removed the crankshaft sensor (pic attached) hoping to get a new one this week.
You could be entirely right that this is the problem. Only time will tell. I also have a new LPFP sensor with rail on the way

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
So as an update for now.

I have a HPFP sensor, LPFP sensor with rail (new revision) and a Crankshaft sensor on the way. Hopefully these will fix the problems. Otherwise I can only assume it’s the HPFP.

For everyone who knows about HPFP failure. Would the pump still get 2,000 PSI even with it cutting out ?

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
The engine will idle with a failed hpfp and hold 70psi from the lpfp.

the fuel will pass through a dead hpfp
Hey. Thanks. Yeah I understand that.

Check this log out. I applied throttle until 3K revs. If HPFP was dead it would definitely not go that high, great suggestion though!

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Replaced sensor. Car just cranks with no start.

Getting DME : Terminal 15 deactivation, activation
CAS : Engine start, starter operation.

Any ideas ?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Have you kept the battery on a charger while doing all this work? Even with a strong crank during start, the battery may need to be topped up to run properly after it attempted to start.

I have had this issue and saw it first hand.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
You did the crankshaft sensor? Or the fuel sensors too?

What is fuse 76?
Fuse 76 controls crankshaft sensor etc, was popped when I removed it the first time

Those codes seem to be just you trying to start the car. Not an indication of an error.
Have you kept the battery on a charger while doing all this work? Even with a strong crank during start, the battery may need to be topped up to run properly after it attempted to start.

I have had this issue and saw it first hand.
I have it on a slow charger, I think the battery has around 12 volts. I checked ground strap just now and it’s fine

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Hi all my question may have nothing to do with the topic, but what are the maximum and minimum values of the hpfp? I took a little walk with the MHD gauges and the minimum value of the HPFP seems low to me 475 psi ... the maximum value seems correct to me 3093 psi ... I have no log or problem What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_165539.jpg
    IMG_20210626_165539.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 15