Can the stock B58 turbo compressor housing be clocked?

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
Hey guys, I'm going to be attempting to install a B58 turbo (with manifold) onto an M54 and was wondering if the compressor housing can be clocked? I do see there are e-torx bolts coming out of the compressor housing but was unable to find anything searching online. Thank you. I am currently boosted but am tired of the lag and really love the response and characteristics of this turbo. I don't care about peak power numbers anymore, just response and a decent 400WHP/400WTQ.
Clock b58 turbo.png

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Assuming you can reclock it, your will have to make a new wastegate arm etc.

I doubt anyone on here ever reclocked one as I don't see the need to do it except like in your case...the bolts don't look evenly spaced so if you can reclock it it's going to be FAR the other way...easiest way would probably be to remove the v band on the CHRA and rotate that way but quickly your oil drain is going to be come a problem...and needing custom water/oil lines.

I am guessing you don't have one on a bench or you would have already tried.

• Agree
Reactions: SlowE93 and armenh7

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
Assuming you can reclock it, your will have to make a new wastegate arm etc.

I doubt anyone on here ever reclocked one as I don't see the need to do it except like in your case...the bolts don't look evenly spaced so if you can reclock it it's going to be FAR the other way...easiest way would probably be to remove the v band on the CHRA and rotate that way but quickly your oil drain is going to be come a problem...and needing custom water/oil lines.

I am guessing you don't have one on a bench or you would have already tried.
I did consider the wastegate arm issue. It may be possible to counter it with a custom mount since I can't retain the EWG.

Custom oil lines are not an issue as stock lines wouldn't work for me anyway.

Your guess is correct. If it was on hand, this post wouldn't have existed :)

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I'm not familiar with the m54, but assume the exhaust manifold mounting is different from b58. Curious what your plans are for mounting the b58 turbo to your head?

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
I'm not familiar with the m54, but assume the exhaust manifold mounting is different from b58. Curious what your plans are for mounting the b58 turbo to your head?
Chop the B58 flange off and weld on a M5X flange. I have a buddy that did that on an N55 manifold

Reactions: wheela

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
if you're chopping the turbo off the B58 manifold to mate to the M54 manifold, mt question is why bother when you can use any turbo in the market and do the same thing? garrett, pte, borg warner efr all offer smaller turbos in more universal fitment. t3, t4, vband. i know its your project but i feel you're over complicating the entire thing.

assuming you would still have to buy or source the B58 turbo, since you likely wouldnt be asking if it can be clocked. you would have just tried it yourself on the bench. but yes it can. just like most other turbos

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
if you're chopping the turbo off the B58 manifold to mate to the M54 manifold, mt question is why bother when you can use any turbo in the market and do the same thing? garrett, pte, borg warner efr all offer smaller turbos in more universal fitment. t3, t4, vband. i know its your project but i feel you're over complicating the entire thing.

assuming you would still have to buy or source the B58 turbo, since you likely wouldnt be asking if it can be clocked. you would have just tried it yourself on the bench. but yes it can. just like most other turbos
Yeah, I had similar thoughts. Nothing against the b58 turbo, but if going to this extent I'd go with an actual after market turbo with a compressor map so you know exactly what your getting, and can easily replace it if it fails.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i

My thoughts as well. My only geuss is wants the internal wastegate and diverter on the turbo ?

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021

I've been turbo for the past 3 years and got tired of the lag. Going down the B58 turbo route would be the most affordable option for getting a quality twin scroll manifold and quality turbo whereas just buying a twin scroll manifold alone is $800+ along with a BW EFR at ~$1500-2000

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
My thoughts as well. My only geuss is wants the internal wastegate and diverter on the turbo ?
Diverter isn't a big deal, however I have also gotten a bit annoyed with an external wastegate and would like to try out an internal wastegate.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I've been turbo for the past 3 years and got tired of the lag. Going down the B58 turbo route would be the most affordable option for getting a quality twin scroll manifold and quality turbo whereas just buying a twin scroll manifold alone is $800+ along with a BW EFR at ~$1500-2000
Can't argue with that.

Reactions: armenh7

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

What turbo are you running now?

armenh7

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
What turbo are you running now?
GTX3584R with a 1.06A/R turbine housing. I started off with a tiny TD03 turbo, then went to a 6266, then to a GT3582 0.63 A/R, then GT3582 0.82A/R, and finally settled with where I'm at now. The goal was to make 500 WHP at "low" boost but now that that's done, I don't care about the numbers and want something more fun to drive