Can anyone identify this leak?

Dramat1ca

Lurker
Jul 10, 2018
Ride
n54 335i 6MT
Your shop didn't do re-seals? At the dealership I work for the only time we ever recommend the entire axle is when its dry inside the boot or past that point and causing a vibration. I've done loads of them and haven't ever had any issues with cars returning. So just for anyone reading this you can really go either direction.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Ok I got the new axel today! I really want expecting it till wed which is what the tracking number said but randomly showed up today. I'm guessing someone goofed and through it on a plane lol.

Now that it's the weekend and I have the part I think I may just tackle it on my own. I cant seem to find any good DIYs on it. Does anyone have q link to a good diy or video on it?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Get it in?

Yeah, I actually got it in today. I tried so many different things, oil, grease ect... but nothing worked. So i gave up and pulled it out and drove with the axel out for a week in order to get around. I made sure it was just short trips lol. Anyways, the tool finally came in and i reinstalled it and it went perfectly fine. If i had to guess its probably because my wheel hub has over 120k miles on it and the axel i got had 42k. Since these are both used parts that probably worse down slightly different over there age they just wouldnt fit no matter what i did, but with the tool it glided right in. I didnt even have to use any force.

This is the tool thats a life saver and i highly, highly suggest anyone replacing an axel with on there car with high mileage and your also replacing it with another used one to buy this tool before even attempting the repair. This tool was only availible on ebay, i so wish amazon had it since that would have saved me a huge headache.

Reactions: doublespaces

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Thanks. It seems a tool to push it out is needed as well?

Yeah you rent these tools from any autoparts stores. If your pulling the drivers side axel you will need to find a way to pull the axel hard to bring it out of the front differential. I used a chain and pulled real hard and got it to come out. I'm not sure what most people use but I had it done within a few mins. From what I've seen the passenger is easier to remove.

This is what I used.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ller-kit-9-piece-loaner-tool-648608/9150001-P

Here's a quick video on it, not very detailed and leaves out a lot (like reinstall) but gives you an idea.