Can anyone decipher this log? Boost leak?

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
Hey guys. I have an 07 335i, auto, 134k mi, FBO, MHD Stage 2+, V8.0, 93 oct

The half engine light pops up and I occassionaly get a 30FF code when I'm at higher speeds on the highway (usually around 100 mph). I've never gone above that in this car. Today, I decided to log a run in 3rd at 2500rpm to replicate the problem (unsure how fast I got but definitely not 100mph) and sure enough the light popped up once I shifted into 4th. I have a good amount of wastegate rattle which I have the MHD WG fix set to 0 to eliminate the noise (with that comes more lag). Can anyone read this log and tell me what's going on? I've been experiencing this even before I went FBO and went Stage 2+. Thanks in advance:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subwoofer

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
You have a boost leak, vacuum leak or your turbo's (wastegates) are done.

Unfortunately we don't have a magic globe to pinpoint the problem for you. Why did you tune your car when it had issues to begin with? Maintenance before mods mate.
Man, I've spent the last year taking care of all the necessary maintenance items! I replaced the brakes, all new coilovers, and new tires. I have some wastegate rattle so I adjusted the actuator arm a little which seemed to help reduce the noise some. About 3 months ago, I replaced all the vacuum lines and the boost solenoids after getting a 30FF code. That seemed to have done the trick. Then I replaced the oil pan gasket last month along with the motor/transmission mounts and sway bar bushings followed by a walnut blast. The car has been running great for about a month now so I figured I would have some fun with it (I originally wanted to keep it stock). Upgraded the charge pipe/BOV, 5" stepped intercooler, and catless DPs. I just wanted a little more 'oomf' with the Stage 2+. Now I'm having these problems when I step on it. The car is at 134k miles on stock turbos. That paired with the rattle might mean I should start shopping around for new turbos.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Man, I've spent the last year taking care of all the necessary maintenance items! I replaced the brakes, all new coilovers, and new tires. I have some wastegate rattle so I adjusted the actuator arm a little which seemed to help reduce the noise some. About 3 months ago, I replaced all the vacuum lines and the boost solenoids after getting a 30FF code. That seemed to have done the trick. Then I replaced the oil pan gasket last month along with the motor/transmission mounts and sway bar bushings followed by a walnut blast. The car has been running great for about a month now so I figured I would have some fun with it (I originally wanted to keep it stock). Upgraded the charge pipe/BOV, 5" stepped intercooler, and catless DPs. I just wanted a little more 'oomf' with the Stage 2+. Now I'm having these problems when I step on it. The car is at 134k miles on stock turbos. That paired with the rattle might mean I should start shopping around for new turbos.
So Chances are if you have replaced lines the wastegates are just done for.

Probably best to find some, or maybe even rebuild ?

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
So Chances are if you have replaced lines the wastegates are just done for.

Probably best to find some, or maybe even rebuild ?
I guess so. I don't know how to read those logs so I was hoping someone would be like "Oh, that line should be down here. Rotate your headlight bulb 90 degrees and you'll have boost for days." Apparently it doesn't work that way.

Reactions: Subwoofer

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
I guess so. I don't know how to read those logs so I was hoping someone would be like "Oh, that line should be down here. Rotate your headlight bulb 90 degrees and you'll have boost for days." Apparently it doesn't work that way.
So your log, shows that your current boost isn’t hitting the target AKA a boost leak. The most common cause of that even with new lines is still the lines.

Do you have a vacuum pump ?

It could also be the wastegates, but you can test those with the VACUUM pump.

Let me know your findings, or shoot me a PM.

Reactions: kazbek1

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
So your log, shows that your current boost isn’t hitting the target AKA a boost leak. The most common cause of that even with new lines is still the lines.

Do you have a vacuum pump ?

It could also be the wastegates, but you can test those with the VACUUM pump.

Let me know your findings, or shoot me a PM.
PM'd. Thanks brother

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
UPDATE: I checked the vacuum from my boost solenoids (teed off the lines to a brake bleeder vacuum gauge) and tested the pressure at different wastegate rattle fix values. I adjusted the fix on MHD from 0 to 80 and then OFF to see what the readings were. When I started the car at 0%-30% fix, the psi would start at 13.5 but then drop to 4psi after about a minute. From 40%-50%, the psi started at 13.5 and dropped to 11psi after a minute. 60% went from 13.5 to 12.5 psi, 70% stayed at 13.5 psi, 80% went from 13.5 psi to 16 psi and with the feature turned off, it also went from 13.5 psi to 16 psi after a minute.
The wastegate rattle fix was only effective from 0-15% but because those values drop to 4 psi, I'm just going to keep the wastegate rattle fix off. I'm glad to see that the solenoids and wastegates hold 16 psi which to me shows that my low boost must me coming from a vacuum leak. Am I correct in assuming this? I haven't logged another run yet but if I still have low boost on that log, will this confirm that there is a vacuum leak? Or could it still be a turbo issue? I checked all the hoses and connections and everything still looks fine. I'll do a smoke test soon too. Just need to get my hands on a cigar.

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
Upgraded the charge pipe/BOV, 5" stepped intercooler, and catless DPs. I just wanted a little more 'oomf' with the Stage 2+. Now I'm having these problems when I step on it. The car is at 134k miles on stock turbos. That paired with the rattle might mean I should start shopping around for new turbos.
These are the last things you did before the problems started? Go back over your work. Check every clamp is tight. What in cooler did you get? I know Ive seen several guys get those ARM branded ones and the way they connect is prone to leaking.

kazbek1

Lurker
Dec 3, 2020
These are the last things you did before the problems started? Go back over your work. Check every clamp is tight. What in cooler did you get? I know Ive seen several guys get those ARM branded ones and the way they connect is prone to leaking.
I've actually had this problem in the past where that engine light would pop up and I'd get a 30ff code after stepping on it on the highway. I replaced all the vacuum lines and both boost solenoids which I thought fixed it. I went over everything again today and it all seems tight. Next step is a smoke test I guess.