Cams?

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
I'm not ready to do an engine build. When I am, good thing my gun shop is attached to an old school engine builder. Haha.

Maybe I'll just do the ghost cam tables in tunerPro for now lol

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I went through prob 10 stock motors with all my testing, I wish I just paid to have it built done, and not dealt with any of that. Every single stock motor I pulled apart over 600WHP had bent rods

Last edited by a moderator:

TweakDemon

Private
Feb 1, 2017
Is it possible to pinpoint whats causing the bent rods at that power level? Too much boost down low perhaps? There's so much conflicting information out there regarding the durability of the rods/bearings that it's hard to discern whats true and what isn't.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Is it possible to pinpoint whats causing the bent rods at that power level? Too much boost down low perhaps? There's so much conflicting information out there regarding the durability of the rods/bearings that it's hard to discern whats true and what isn't.

Conflicting info? That's common sense if push too much tq down low you'll bend a rod. Just ask Tony how many stock motors he's killed by pushing his GCs too much down low.

TweakDemon

Private
Feb 1, 2017
Well that's what common sense would infer, but again, I'm just asking for the clarification and now I've got it. So thanks.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
Good info here. I have MMP stage 3's on the way so I'm going to try and use the tune to keep the motor safe at the 650-700whp level. I love the boost by gear in the JB4

Xshadows

Corporal
Nov 4, 2016
Sanford NC
This is why I'm only aiming for 550-600ish whp (and pump gas) and staying single turbo. Low enough power and torque to not destroy my engine (at least not quickly like I would with GC's and their insane torque down low) and more than enough power to make it a super fun daily.

If my engine ever pops I'll be doing just rods, pistons and coated bearings. Hopefully we start seeing results from MOTIV's motors because they are only 3 hours from me. If not I'll just ship my fucking motor to Tony's builder. lol

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is why I'm only aiming for 550-600ish whp (and pump gas) and staying single turbo. Low enough power and torque to not destroy my engine (at least not quickly like I would with GC's and their insane torque down low) and more than enough power to make it a super fun daily.

If my engine ever pops I'll be doing just rods, pistons and coated bearings. Hopefully we start seeing results from MOTIV's motors because they are only 3 hours from me. If not I'll just ship my fucking motor to Tony's builder. lol

But how can you live with yourself doing all that labor and not doing the whole engine :(

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Oh I certainly understand the logic. I think if I built the engine, I'd do my best to scratch together the justification to build it for 900wtq+

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Good info here. I have MMP stage 3's on the way so I'm going to try and use the tune to keep the motor safe at the 650-700whp level. I love the boost by gear in the JB4

Boost by gear is great but what is most useful is being able to change it on the fly between runs and disable it on the fly for burn outs or when traction is better than expected mid run. I use that a lot on our higher power cars. A 3rd gear boost limit and then I just bypass it when traction is better than expected. I also find the boost cap under anti-lag very useful.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
Boost by gear is great but what is most useful is being able to change it on the fly between runs and disable it on the fly for burn outs or when traction is better than expected mid run. I use that a lot on our higher power cars. A 3rd gear boost limit and then I just bypass it when traction is better than expected. I also find the boost cap under anti-lag very useful.

I have to order the port injection controller soon, so I may order the anti-lag chip as well. I only have the 2step right now on G5 ISO. Currently working on a aluminum enclosure for the DME/JB4 to ditch the plastic one.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thread has been cleaned up after having spoken with two parties to remain consistent with our policy.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Um what? What policy would that be? Since when is Joe a vendor, he is just a general public dipshit. So now we cant call out dipshits on the forum? That constitutes vendor on vendor crime?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Um what? What policy would that be? Since when is Joe a vendor, he is just a general public dipshit. So now we cant call out dipshits on the forum? That constitutes vendor on vendor crime?

I have spoken with @Chris@VargasTurboTech and this is what I was told to do. You've directly referenced his engine builder and I've spoken to both parties and this is the conclusion we came to. You'll recall, this is the same conclusion we came to in your S55 cooler thread. I cleaned up that thread for you as well in accordance to the same policy.

You can say what you will about Joe, Joe can say what he wants about you. I don't particularly enjoy it nor does anyone else I don't believe, but when you speak about another company that would indeed fall into our no vendor bashing policy.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017

I was a little confused by the forum rules too. I think if you want to engage with another vendor you have to do it in a new "challenge" thread or something. Fortunately I haven't felt the need to engage anyone lately. :)

• Funny
Reactions: 08_335i