Broken Active Steering, what are my options?

130iE87

Oct 12, 2021
Hi

Fault codes indicates that the AS/AL motor in the steering rack has broken. I still have some fault tracing to conduct but assuming that's the issue, what are my options? What I've found so far that might be possible:

1. Code out AS and use existing rack, effort only coding. Indicated to be possible in this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522685 Would it work?

2. Use M3 rack, preferable but expensive..

3. Use "standard" rack. Might be cheap but I think this also requires new servo pump and lower joint. Anything else that needs replacing?

4. I found the motor part of the rack used. Is this really possible to replaced and aligned so it works? (see picture)

5. Any other option?

Please help with what is possible and what it would require if I missed out on anything. My goal is to have the car free of fault codes and DSC working.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 49

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
Speaking from experience swapping a M3 rack into my previous Active Steering equipped 135i:

Coding it out should work just fine, I’ve done it successfully.

Joint / Coupler on AS steering rack is different from regular rack I believe, but mates directly to the M3/1M rack.

Pump is different due to electronically actuated valve, but will work just fine with either regular or 1M/M3 rack.

Lines should be close enough to make work, but would recommend matching them to rack for best routing / strain.

Not sure on the motor swap. Would see if there’s replacement instructions in TIS and/or an initialization routine in INPA before hand.

See here for more context

130iE87

Oct 12, 2021
Perfect, the M3 rack is a really viable option if only I can't find it at a reasonable price for sale.
Regarding motor swap, no info in TIS since BMW never saw this as a replacement part but I'm guessing the car will se it as a new rack. The only electronic component left from the old rack would then be the cumulative steering angle sensor. The thing that really worries me with a "motor swap" is if it's at all possible to get everything aligned. Not sure if it's critical or not but my guess is yes..

130iE87

Oct 12, 2021
Hi
A bump with the answer. The connector for the electric motor wouldn’t come loose but I measured resitance on the connector to the ECU which showed open circuit, pulled the rack out and pried off the stuck connector and found a whole lot of oxidation. After some cleaning everything measured OK so I’m good with the rack I have.

Reactions: wheela

makikarp

Jul 1, 2022
Speaking from experience swapping a M3 rack into my previous Active Steering equipped 135i:

Coding it out should work just fine, I’ve done it successfully.

Joint / Coupler on AS steering rack is different from regular rack I believe, but mates directly to the M3/1M rack.

Pump is different due to electronically actuated valve, but will work just fine with either regular or 1M/M3 rack.

Lines should be close enough to make work, but would recommend matching them to rack for best routing / strain.

Not sure on the motor swap. Would see if there’s replacement instructions in TIS and/or an initialization routine in INPA before hand.

See here for more context
Thinking of swapping m3 rack to my active steering 130i too. Just a quick question, does it matter the m3 rack has servotronic or not? Did some research online (luckily bumped into this thread!) and some say servotronic m3 racks are not a direct swap. Thanks!