Bottom mount intake heat shield

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is what i did with my e82 using 335d scoop. Theres still an opening for the factory oil cooler lines to pass. Been thinking installing an aftermarket oil cooler on driver side and delete the factory oil cooler. This way will be able to get ram air from pass. Side oil cooler duct. I also have hood vents to help keep under hood temp. Down.

Hey, that is pretty neat, do you have more photos? The one thing that becomes interesting with this, is the concept of a C02 sprayer on the FMIC. People avoid it because it can contaminate the intake tract, but this would effectively isolate it while on the move? @Twisted Tuning @Chris@VargasTurboTech

335D duct needs to be shortened to fit?

I'm pretty sure that is the normal size, it also has an 'extension' snout thing but its a separate part.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Hey, that is pretty neat, do you have more photos? The one thing that becomes interesting with this, is the concept of a C02 sprayer on the FMIC. People avoid it because it can contaminate the intake tract, but this would effectively isolate it while on the move? @Twisted Tuning @Chris@VargasTurboTech

I'm pretty sure that is the normal size, it also has an 'extension' snout thing but its a separate part.
The extension does not fit because of the AC line and fitting. There are some models and years out the that have both of the AC fittings back by the firewall though. So, if yours are back there, it might fit.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ

Hard to say. The idea of a CO2 sprayer is good at first glance but tends to look worse the more serious you get about it. Still prob has a place for some people.

Reactions: doublespaces

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Im using a speedtech kit as well. I made a small heat shield out of OEM material. It curls perfectly over the exhaust housing, which will also be covered in a turbo blanket. The two combined will trap heat down low, which tends to be better ventilated by air turbulence. At least thats my .02 on it.

I might do a second one where the oem shield/solenoid bolted up. I'll wait untill I see signs of scorching before I do that though. The silicone inlet sits quite close to the manifold as you know. At least our manifolds are thick ass cast, not tubes measured by gauge. So we have that going for us for sure. It would take a cheap ass bbq temp gauge with an extended wire to see if there's a big difference in whether it be at idle, or driving.

Attachments

• 20190916_203400.jpg
    20190916_203400.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190916_210901.jpg
    20190916_210901.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190916_210956.jpg
    20190916_210956.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 31

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
This would be fine with a spraybar. For one simple reason. Spraybars are meant to be used while staging, not while driving. Use it to stage freeze the intercooler and by time you're ready for the pass any CO2 remnant have already passed.