BMW Marketing at it's worst

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
A marketing strategy to appease the top who are obviously questioning the direction of the company.

New BMW: We can’t talk to your generation

Old BMW: You talk just fine when you need help with your loan payments. 😆

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
No no no, that's the new trailer for the live action Cars movie!

Ugh.... for real though. That was a horrible commercial. One burning question though is where did they find an old working 7 series for the commercial? Lol

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It started with the Dame Edna headlights on the E60. Now the ass munch kidney grills.

I've probably owned more BMW's than most people here, which is just to say that I've lived through the evolution. My wife's 2013 MB GLK250 is miles beyond more well built and maintainable than my nearly same year N57 F10. A glorious car but what a nightmare as a DIY guy.

My first BMW - a 2002 (the model, not the year, youngsters) I restored WITHOUT A MANUAL and before the Internet. It was that logically well put together. And 1/3 of the car didn't break on the way apart or together, and the car was 25 years old when I restored it.

New vs. Old. Yep.

Filippo

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
It started with the Dame Edna headlights on the E60. Now the ass munch kidney grills.

I've probably owned more BMW's than most people here, which is just to say that I've lived through the evolution. My wife's 2013 MB GLK250 is miles beyond more well built and maintainable than my nearly same year N57 F10. A glorious car but what a nightmare as a DIY guy.

My first BMW - a 2002 (the model, not the year, youngsters) I restored WITHOUT A MANUAL and before the Internet. It was that logically well put together. And 1/3 of the car didn't break on the way apart or together, and the car was 25 years old when I restored it.

New vs. Old. Yep.

Filippo
Yup. I like the older bmws. So easy to work on. I wrenched on many of the pre computer models. I like those MB's as well. I would love more than anything to have an old G wagon. Sucks they still cost an arm and a leg.

On another note I'm enjoying the e46 330cic we bought yesterday. Such a simple engine bay.... well by today's standards. I will have a good time wrenching on that.

I wonder if the same will be said about these new bmws in 20 years. I better start learning how to code better. :)

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you ever want a low down on the E46 330cic let me know .... have bunches of experience with both chassis and drivetrain. Just shoot me a PM so not off subject here.

Filippo

Reactions: TheFixer