Black Market Parts Port Injection Update 4 month carbon check up.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I was about to do a walnut blast after 4 months and did a checkup on my intake valves after using the BMP port injection system for that long... if you are curious to how clean they keep the intake valves, here is a video of how mine looked after 4months of use with mixed 93 and e85 on various days with Flex Fuel Kit and Precision Raceworks Stage 3 LPFP.

They were clean enough to leave alone. Thank god I didn't have to break out the blaster tonight. I highly recommend this BMP kit if anything, just to keep those damn valves clean. Get a custom tune and be done with it.

VT

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
You were expecting to need a walnut blast after 4 months? I assume by after, you meant from the last time you did a walnut blast? Not sure if I read that correctly or you meant something different.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
You were expecting to need a walnut blast after 4 months? I assume by after, you meant from the last time you did a walnut blast? Not sure if I read that correctly or you meant something different.

Filippo

I set out a blank slate so I could personally see the effects from super clean walnut blasted PI installation day to 4 months. For observational purposes.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Cool. I'm curious if you had a prior walnut blast to four month experience without PI ... for comparison sake?

I went to the low-side external PCV solution in hopes of killing off the carbon build-up issue, though I have no idea if it will substantially kill the issue off (it's conjecture until people start posting mileage photos with external PCV systems and plugged heads). Unfortunately we lost the benefit of injectors in the intake when BMW went DI. Based on what I saw in 30k miles, I think it will be 10-15k before I know if there is a substantive difference in my setup.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Cool. I'm curious if you had a prior walnut blast to four month experience without PI ... for comparison sake?

I went to the low-side external PCV solution in hopes of killing off the carbon build-up issue, though I have no idea if it will substantially kill the issue off (it's conjecture until people start posting mileage photos with external PCV systems and plugged heads). Unfortunately we lost the benefit of injectors in the intake when BMW went DI. Based on what I saw in 30k miles, I think it will be 10-15k before I know if there is a substantive difference in my setup.

Filippo

Yes. I did this same test without port injection and it was horrifying.

First 1 yr.
Blasted
Then 6 months
Blasted
Then 4 months
Blasted
Then 3 months.

All were dirty

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So far the combo of port injection, plugged pcv ports and dual cc has proven itself to keep all about 90% clean inside. The 10% is just residue on unsprayed areas.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Top mount injectors do a better job cleaning the valves and keeps them clean, that's why helped develop the plazmaman manifold
with this in mind as bottom mount injectors in your configuration just can't do the job properly.

Its good enough though as most peoples valves are far dirtier than yours after 3 months after blasting.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Making a blanket statement that port inject will keep your valves clean is misleading and incorrect. Others with port injection have done similar time and mileage based checks and not had the same results. Your ports are clean because your low side pcv was externalized, as that is where the vast majority of our build up comes from. The port injection has likely just kept any oil in the intake stream from starting to build up on the valves.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
No matter what, pi will keep the valves cleaner with pcv externalized or not, so its a win win.

When I was running the original pi from CP-E my valves where pretty clean especially when you run fuel system cleaner every 3rd or 4th
fill, I still wont use it personally unless I was to go standalone ecu.