DIY BL Coil Fix

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/ignition-projects-ignition-coil-set-bmw-s54-p3730.aspx

This kit is for the S54, but fits our cars too. At least according to this it says s54 and n54 run the same coils

http://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/BMW-Ignition-Coil-Info/

vac is a JOOOOOKE

they messed up so many of my orders its not even funny. sent wrong size engine bearings... order shipped to the wrong address... can't take simple instructions over the phone...

They tried selling me bedplate studs... which DON'T EXIST for the N54!

Their communication and ability to correctly fulfill orders is a fat -2/10.

Highly recommend not giving them money.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
im curious what parts you ordered? do you have photos? Where you trying to order the part that connects to the bmw harness or the r8 harness?
Post #67 shoes the connector in question. Tried the 6188-0099 made by Haidi.

This is true, but bmw lists the same part number for the elder plugs that fit both our cars and there engines. If it wasnt for that I'd be sceptical too lol.
You're right. Never realized the p/n crosses back to that car.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I didn't think it was a secret that these were 3d printed and I think his customer service has been excellent I had a faulty harness with one dead ic on a Sunday night Alex walked me through getting my car running with one stock coil and sent me a new harness and I asked about purchasing a spare connector and coil he chose to just send one of each for free instead of charging me also we can't just print our own harness as their are electronics involved.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Maybe if you didnt assume shit you'd actually be smarter than most. I never bought any of my fuel it stuff. It came free when i purchased my car, so get your facts straight. I could have easily taken my fuel kit diy's and started making kits, but i didnt want to get into that. If you buy a kit that says plug and play it means its plug and play, not you need to hack up this hack up that and hope the plugs dont break on you in the process. Continue on defending him all you want, it doesnt change the facts.

Looks like we might have a oem type plug and play kit here soon.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/ignition-projects-ignition-coil-set-bmw-s54-p3730.aspx

This kit is for the S54, but fits our cars too. At least according to this it says s54 and n54 run the same coils

http://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/BMW-Ignition-Coil-Info/
These sound really familiar to okada coils which turned out fake

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I didn't think it was a secret that these were 3d printed and I think his customer service has been excellent I had a faulty harness with one dead ic on a Sunday night Alex walked me through getting my car running with one stock coil and sent me a new harness and I asked about purchasing a spare connector and coil he chose to just send one of each for free instead of charging me also we can't just print our own harness as their are electronics involved.

BMW has built in IGBT transistors in the ecu and the electronics in his harness are no different. He added transistors to be able to provide the correct voltage/sigals to the coils since the IGBT is built into the smart coils it needs the 5v square signal to charge the smart coils. Basically the ecu has part of what the smart coils have built in and you need to bypass this and send the correct signal to get them to work. This is also why he added an external power source and ground for the new increased voltages the system needs.

This is why i said a dissasembly of the harness with all parts could make it reproduceable. Alot of good information is talked about over here. Hopefully we can get a good DIY going for anyone who wishes to create there own harness and save some $$$.

http://www.bummerboost.com/showthread.php?83849-R8-coils-vs-aftermarket-N54-ignition-coils/page4

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
BMW has built in IGBT transistors in the ecu and the electronics in his harness are no different. He added transistors to be able to provide the correct voltage/sigals to the coils since the IGBT is built into the smart coils it needs the 5v square signal to charge the smart coils. Basically the ecu has part of what the smart coils have built in and you need to bypass this and send the correct signal to get them to work. This is also why he added an external power source and ground for the new increased voltages the system needs.

This is why i said a dissasembly of the harness with all parts could make it reproduceable. Alot of good information is talked about over here. Hopefully we can get a good DIY going for anyone who wishes to create there own harness and save some $$$.

http://www.bummerboost.com/showthread.php?83849-R8-coils-vs-aftermarket-N54-ignition-coils/page4
If all it is is a transistor do you think that means failure rate should be low as isn't anything complicated?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
If all it is is a transistor do you think that means failure rate should be low as isn't anything complicated?

Basically the ecu has a built in igniter and so does the r8 coils. Dumb coils have no igniter and smart coils do so after the ecu sends the signal to the built in igniter the signal that reaches the coil is no longer 5v so the resisters and voltage regulators convert that single back into 5v so the internal R8 Ignighter in the coil can work, which makes the coil work on our cars along with the flash.

The electronics part isn't that difficult with the right tools to make and figutr out if it's a 5v sqaure signal. This means that there are many failure points, the registers or voltage regulators, the coils Ignighter, or in the harness itself if the wires are to thin.

I'm not sure how the bl coil is made, it's very thin for its electronics do it must he hidden in there somewhere. Since there are so many failure points this is what makes the PR kit a better overall kit especially for the same price. Then only way of suggest R8 coils is if you build it yourself that way you can repair it if needed. The BL kit was created by your average joe and unless his business expands one day he may stop selling the kits or repair parts and anyone with one that has a failure point all be sol. This has happened alot on other platforms that also concerted dumb coils to smart through harnesses to use the r8 coils.

For example,

http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?578158-VAG-ignition-coil-conversion-project!-Have-your-vote

http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?584905-A-quick-how-to-use-VAG-coil-on-SR20

Last edited:

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
So my question is, is my harness gonna fall apart the first time I go to install these coils this months? lol

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
So my question is, is my harness gonna fall apart the first time I go to install these coils this months? lol

Anything is possible. These were 3d printed on what looks to be cheap material and because these parts are in the engine bay the extreme heat from the turbos and engine will make them fragile and crack/melt. Just to be extra safe I'd use heat reflective tape to secure it to the stock harness.

BL basically sold samples/trials at full price and expected to get the bmw tax for his trouble. He should have sold just the harness with explanations that it's 3d printed and use at your own risk and still make money.

He should open up 3 tiers of products. The full kit, the harness, and the electronic chips with the 3d printed piece (or updates to manufactured). He'd sell alot more of those boards that convert the signal to 5v to those who want to diy there own harness and the longer he goes without selling them the faster it'll be before we figure it out on our own. Even worse another company will snatch up the information, mass produced and sell it first. If he sold the chip many of us would give up on creating our own and since his is easier to slap on to a DIY harness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave_N54

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Put them in your hand, with the covering side between your thumb and index finger and press a little. If yours are like mine, they'll crumble. It's fine ... we just busted all of them (it's a facade not a connector), and then put a piece of black electrical tape around each connection once plugged in.

But ... first you have to cut up all those coils to make them work. :screamcat:

Filippo

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I think BL should have to compensate people. Telling everyone it's a plug and play kit, when in reality it's no where near it. Having our harnesses break because we breathed in the wrong direction twice instead of once. It's an absolute joke to be truthful.

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

jimmyC

Jul 25, 2019
Ride
2007 bmw 335i FBO
hello everyone ,anyone figure out a way to wire the r8 coils using oem wires and r8 pigtail