Bimmergeeks BMW standard tools

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
My computer at home is downloading all the files as I type this. I see the install instructions readme in the standard tools zip, but where I'm a bit confused is where all the SP-Daten files go.

I've set up standard tools once but it was such a long time ago. It randomly stopped working so I deleted the whole thing for a fresh install.

Can anyone who used the bimmergeeks software chime in on the best way to set everything up? Thanks

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
My computer at home is downloading all the files as I type this. I see the install instructions readme in the standard tools zip, but where I'm a bit confused is where all the SP-Daten files go.

I've set up standard tools once but it was such a long time ago. It randomly stopped working so I deleted the whole thing for a fresh install.

Can anyone who used the bimmergeeks software chime in on the best way to set everything up? Thanks

If you don't plan on doing any flashing with WinKFP you don't even need the datens. What you need to run INPA, NCS Expert, and Tool32 is already preloaded in the Standard Tools set up.

If you do need the datens, just unzip that folder to your C drive so that you have a folder named E89 in the main C drive tree. You will need to update WinKFP with the BMW Coding Tool to load the datens into the necessary folders to use WinKFP.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
If you don't plan on doing any flashing with WinKFP you don't even need the datens. What you need to run INPA, NCS Expert, and Tool32 is already preloaded in the Standard Tools set up.

If you do need the datens, just unzip that folder to your C drive so that you have a folder named E89 in the main C drive tree. You will need to update WinKFP with the BMW Coding Tool to load the datens into the necessary folders to use WinKFP.

I got some kind of response error when I tried running ncs expert, it wouldn't pull up my car's VO

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What functions does this have over Bimmergeek’s ProTool?
This question is largely ignored. I've yet to find any cogent discussion of Protool on a forum. That said, I own it (both pgm and diag sides) ... it's one time purchase (no subscription like Carly), and works on all my BMW's. Best bet is to get on the Protool Facebook group. Not a ton of action, but enough to see what is going on, and questions you have will get answered in my experience. I had a problem programming out EDC on my Z4 ... and the bimmergeek guys jumped on a call with me and remoted my phone to fix it. Z4 is a strange BMW so it runs into boundary conditions.

Anyway, I've asked Dylan if he can provide me a succinct scope description.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
(no subscription like Carly)

If you bought Carly early enough you are grandfathered in and pay no subscription. Ask me how I know ;)

I personally think their subscription price is crazy high. I would never.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Ok @Jeffman, I spoke with Dylan @ bimmergeeks - he nets it out like this: Protool is basically BMW Standard Tools minus WinFPK.

Filippo

The only thing its you'll notice missing if you do a lot of coding is you can't use custom data and if you're familiar with NCS Dummy, it translates about 90% of the functions into English which is handy.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks for the thread. I have an issue with ISTA i was hoping someone could please help me out with.

Install was per the files from bimmergeeks on a windows 10 64bit computer. One thing i did to this computer is turn off the Windows indexing function, not sure if that impacts anything. Ultimately, everything works...almost.

One step I couldn’t follow in the install instructions was to unblock the zip file. When I went to unzip the file, the instructions say to “unblock” the file in properties before unzipping, but that option was not there. After unzip, I had to manually unblock the sqldb files, but I am thinking some other files are still blocked.

I went to register my battery, and out of the many options, i decided to try with ISTA. I can read my car, clear faults in any modules, but when i get to the register batter screen, click on function to register battery, the attached screen pops up and it just stays blank. What is weird is KL15 and KL30 have dashes, which i believe means the SW thinks the ignition is off? That is odd since it read the car and displayed all modules before i went to this function.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I was able to register my battery via INPA and Toolset, and also code my car to the new battery using NCS. Just ISTA has a small issue.

Attachments

• 0534BDB7-E685-4B2D-B1B1-ADD26335D4DF.jpeg
    0534BDB7-E685-4B2D-B1B1-ADD26335D4DF.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 358

iamhobby1

Mar 7, 2024
Chicagoland
Ride
2011 E89 s35i
Hi, does anyone have a copy or link to INPA that supports E89. The download from BimmerGeeks is no longer available. Other versions I see online only goes up to E85. Thanks in advance.

littleslushy

Mar 13, 2024
Hi, does anyone have a copy or link to INPA that supports E89. The download from BimmerGeeks is no longer available. Other versions I see online only goes up to E85. Thanks in advance.
Why not use ISTA? Much easier than INPA. But Bimmergeeks download has E89 in their inpa