Battery options?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
are there any good battery options other than the oem offering? I'm in need of a third battery now for an 07 and don't feel like spending another 3-400 bucks if there are other good options nowadays.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Energizer. That fucking rabbit has been going off the came c-cell battery for the past 20y. They must make some good shit.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I just replaced the battery with a this https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ttery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P. Good specs and with various online coupons, pick up at store option the net price was just under $200 and it's made by Deka. You really just need to change the battery class in your CAS module and register it using one of four or five ways. You can change the VO too but's it's not necessary as long as you or someone else doesn't default code the CAS and you forget to go back and change the battery class back to AGM.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I run an Optima red top. I coded the car to an AGM spec and it has been reliable. About half the weight of my OEM one was a bonus.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I run an Optima red top. I coded the car to an AGM spec and it has been reliable. About half the weight of my OEM one was a bonus.
do you recall how much it was, or the specs? They offered different "trims" of each battery, no?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I wouldn't touch optima because of their business practices and given the price a conventional SLA battery is a better investment. Even most AGMs are better.

I think the advanced posted above or similar is your best bet. Carly can code your battery.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Ok, I'll bite. Was it a Chic Filet type thing? Did something unspeakable to Energizer bunny in an ad? I know they support racing with their ultimate street car challenge, have always been a fan of that.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
I'm not sure of their "business practices"; years ago they sponsored one of my other cars... Yellow tops were turds (all 6 of them).

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I'm not sure of their "business practices"; years ago they sponsored one of my other cars... Yellow tops were turds (all 6 of them).

Yep, my experience with Optima batteries was horrible and I some friends in the Jeep world have had worse stories, one even had his swell. Mine died once a year for two years and they replaced them under warranty but I got rid of it because it was such a hassle having them fail once a year.

• Agree
Reactions: camberadam

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Yep, my experience with Optima batteries was horrible and I some friends in the Jeep world have had worse stories, one even had his swell. Mine died once a year for two years and they replaced them under warranty but I got rid of it because it was such a hassle having them fail once a year.

I think it was one of those things that everyone had one so you just assumed they were awesome... Until you owned one lol.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Here is a real good document on battery registration and coding:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/documents/register-and-code-a-new-battery.6/

The H8 AGM from advance auto is what I have and it has more cold cranking amps and more reserve time than the H7. You can use the online discount code and pick it up in the store. Great specs, i used Carly to register it.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ttery-group-size-h8-850-cca-h8-agm/10210828-P

I don't need the CCA so much as I need a battery that will last as I drive very short distances, often less than 1 mile per day. Does this thing fit like the factory battery?

This is the same thing, right?
http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...ery/duralast-platinum-battery/319459_322829_0

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Optima closed down the us factory and moved it to Mexico at Christmas without telling anyone if I recall correctly. So they f'd over good Americans to make more money.

The product was never anything special and a conventional sla was a better purchase for an audio system, starter, deep discharge, etc. An AGM conventional style is still a better buy cost and power density wise.

I never understood how their marketing caught on.

There is a good deal of more info if you search for them. Most is not positive.