Bad Injectors?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Looks like you need to get a diode protected relay for your LPFP activation harness, that will fix the E% spikes when the fuel pump turns on.

As for injectors, yea any in bank 1 could be leaking, best bet would be to replace all 3.

It's technically possible PI is leaking / spraying too. Perhaps remove the rail first and see if it still is happening.

Reactions: matreyia

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Looks like you need to get a diode protected relay for your LPFP activation harness, that will fix the E% spikes when the fuel pump turns on.

As for injectors, yea any in bank 1 could be leaking, best bet would be to replace all 3.

It's technically possible PI is leaking / spraying too. Perhaps remove the rail first and see if it still is happening.

Does the Precision Raceworks PnP harness have the diode protected relay?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
If you don't have chinesium PI injectors, I'd lean towards the DI injectors being bad. I know in the past Tony has said they usually have an injector go bad if they let their race car sit too long with E85. If you have periods of sitting, it's best to flush the e85, but you might try fuel lubrication. I think I'm going to start running some in my e mixes.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
It depends when you purchased. I know originally they didn't, and after FF launched and we were seeing a lot of interference, we investigated and found they relay to be the reason why. I've since worked with Robert and provided him a part # for a correct relay to use, and I believe he has switched it for all kits.

I'm sure if you contact him he will send you one.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
It depends when you purchased. I know originally they didn't, and after FF launched and we were seeing a lot of interference, we investigated and found they relay to be the reason why. I've since worked with Robert and provided him a part # for a correct relay to use, and I believe he has switched it for all kits.

I'm sure if you contact him he will send you one.

Can you tell me the PN and I will check mine to see? I ordered mine Feb 19th.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
If you don't have chinesium PI injectors, I'd lean towards the DI injectors being bad. I know in the past Tony has said they usually have an injector go bad if they let their race car sit too long with E85. If you have periods of sitting, it's best to flush the e85, but you might try fuel lubrication. I think I'm going to start running some in my e mixes.

I have HPI 60lb injectors. They were brand new and I heard good things about them. I didn't think about E85 sitting for 1 month. I hope the DI are not bad since they are 6 months old. They do have warranty through ZNM but I just got 2 front o2 sensors warrantied. Would hate to be that guy who gets it all warrantied at the same time. I am going to run the e85 out and then try some 93. I am also gonna pull them out and make sure everything looks good as well as my spark plugs.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I just took my plugs out. 1 and 6 looks black while the other ones look new. Would explain those crappy afrs when letting off pedal. It is sad that these went bad like that. After this e85 tank im running a 93 through it or two.

ZNM was quick and had no issues replacing the o2 sensors, will see how he does with 2 injectors now.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've had my car sitting for a couple months with E54, hopefully they aren't bad because they are index 12's with about 20 miles on them.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I just took my plugs out. 1 and 6 looks black while the other ones look new. Would explain those crappy afrs when letting off pedal. It is sad that these went bad like that. After this e85 tank im running a 93 through it or two.

ZNM was quick and had no issues replacing the o2 sensors, will see how he does with 2 injectors now.
Good luck dealing with ZNM - if you’re having trouble getting a hold of Matt it’s probably because he’s in court...or in jail. Check out this thread of complaints https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/beware-of-znm-performance-in-pompton-lakes-nj.4243/#post-58850

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Good luck dealing with ZNM - if you’re having trouble getting a hold of Matt it’s probably because he’s in court...or in jail. Check out this thread of complaints https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/beware-of-znm-performance-in-pompton-lakes-nj.4243/#post-58850

Yeah I had purchased all this stuff before that was a thing. I did contact him last week about getting 2 o2 sensors replaced under warranty. I had purchased them and he had them out the same day. I now have to return them and hope that I get the return I guess. As far as the injectors it seems like he has been dodging that question every email. So we will see.

n54dct

Lurker
Sep 7, 2018
Finland
Ride
E92 335i, N54 & DKG
Hello, I don't want to hijack thread but this seems like an appropriate place to ask since I have almost similiar problem and have not gotten an answer on other forums. Does anyone think I have leaking injectors?

https://datazap.me/u/n54dct/pull-3rd-leaking-injectors?log=0&data=3-16-17-23

Bank 1 afr rises lazily after letting off gas and bank 2 afr shows an irregular peak which differs from bank 1 when shifting from 3rd to 4th.

Sometimes I have rough idle when cold starting to the point the engine almost stalls. Sometimes after turning off the engine, exhaust fumes still come out almost for a minute but from right side exhaust tip only. Also the right side exhaust tip seems to be leaking maybe unburnt fuel...

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
6 month old index 12 injectors. They have been sitting for about 1 month with E85 but I am not sure if that would be an issue.

Here is a log...

https://datazap.me/u/pysical/log-1544791554?log=0&data=16-17-22

Would you say 1, 2 or all 3 injectors in bank 1 are messed up? Or could this be something else? I know the Flex Fuel module is jacked.

Or could this be the PI spraying?

Pull your spark plugs and post up pics. Definitely looks like a lazy injector. At least, AFR not settling to 235 has pinpointed an injector issue for me personally 2x now. I then confirmed with a visual of the spark plugs.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Pull your spark plugs and post up pics. Definitely looks like a lazy injector. At least, AFR not settling to 235 has pinpointed an injector issue for me personally 2x now. I then confirmed with a visual of the spark plugs.

I bought 2 injectors I will be installing today.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Just wondering if you solved this issue?
Pretty sure it was the PI injectors leaking. I went to ID1000cc injectors and didn't have an issue after that. I actually removed the throttle body and stuck a borescope into the intake manifold and then primed the key and could see the injectors getting fuel bubbles on the tips of them.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus