Technical Anyone Try Thermo Isolating 02 Bungs?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
A question i have would be, how hard are they to index properly with the flow? Cause you may need all the ugga duggas to get it in the right flow path.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I run the Innovate Motorsports heat sink bungs which VTT and Omar shamelessly copied. PN 3729

heat sinks.PNG

AFRs are not affected, it will just be a hair slower to respond (on the order of milliseconds nothing that will affect tuning).

They are a pain in the ass to index properly though. I had to spend a lot of time with calipers and a dremel to grind the indexing washer to the proper thickness with trial and error. Would be a million times easier to install if the manifold wasn't already in the car

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Would be a million times easier to install if the manifold wasn't already in the car ...

or if they came with a washer shim kit.

Filippo

Reactions: veer90

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
They definitely help, heat sinks for o2's have been around for years wouldnt necessarily say they copied, because innovate was definitely not the first to come up with them, but just as a heads up acf/vm already has heat sinks attached to their manifolds, not sure how it would affect anything doubling up on them, a tuner or someone more knowledgeable on the subject may be able to help with that question. But to answer your question good heat sinks will help o2 life for sure. I run a acf manifold with the built in heat sinks and adv sensors and ive yet to burn up my sensors since i installed the kit

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
They definitely help, heat sinks for o2's have been around for years wouldnt necessarily say they copied, because innovate was definitely not the first to come up with them, but just as a heads up acf/vm already has heat sinks attached to their manifolds, not sure how it would affect anything doubling up on them, a tuner or someone more knowledgeable on the subject may be able to help with that question. But to answer your question good heat sinks will help o2 life for sure. I run a acf manifold with the built in heat sinks and adv sensors and ive yet to burn up my sensors since i installed the kit
Yeah I know the manifold comes with heat sinks,but do like the idea where the 02 doesn't sit in direct contact with flow which I would think help the like.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
As they sit now with the current heat sinks on the manifold they dont come in contact directly with the exhaust flow, so pulling it even further may give you more undesired results, but again i dont know exactly what could happen

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
As for indexing, I contacted Vtto through messaging on Fb and they didn't mention about indexing.Vtto said its adjustable.Maybe Chris or Tony can chime in to clear this up

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
As they sit now with the current heat sinks on the manifold they dont come in contact directly with the exhaust flow, so pulling it even further may give you more undesired results, but again i dont know exactly what could happen
Ah your right lol,how I didn't know that.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
The difference between heat sink bungs and the heat sinks that come on the manifolds already is the internal machining. There's venturi passages that stick down into the exhaust flow, direct the gas up to the sensor which is mounted physically some distance away from the piping, then back down through a pressure differential between the 2 holes. That's why they have to be clocked correctly (entry facing into exhaust flow).

Manifold bungs have fins for heat dissipation but still places the sensor tip in direct exhaust flow.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
I run the Innovate Motorsports heat sink bungs which VTT and Omar shamelessly copied. PN 3729

View attachment 22485

AFRs are not affected, it will just be a hair slower to respond (on the order of milliseconds nothing that will affect tuning).

They are a pain in the ass to index properly though. I had to spend a lot of time with calipers and a dremel to grind the indexing washer to the proper thickness with trial and error. Would be a million times easier to install if the manifold wasn't already in the car
No shame in business

tsaulsbu

Lurker
Mar 16, 2017
I tried grinding down the supplied washers. Spent about 45 minutes grinding/trying/grinding, only to tear through the washer. I then bought a pack of these, and a single washer resulted in perfectly-clocked Innovate heat sinks w/o modification on my DOCRace manifold.

Last edited: