Anyone running the precision raceworks in tank regulator/filter

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Installed this and have been having nothing but issues, fuel pressure is erratic and i have been having a very hard time getting my base pressure set, it seems to just have a mind of its own, just wondering what other peoples experiences are with it and how they set it up? Ive followed the instructions to a T and have emailed and gone over everything with precisionraceworks and no one can come up with a reason why

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
First, the ekp controls the pump via PWM, so unless full duty is being requested, you're not likely going to hit the target. You need to trigger the fuel pump full on using inpa of bavtech then set the pressure.

Second, their design will only return gas to the pump/passenger side of the tank when the regulator bleeds off pressure, bad design. You may be cruising for some time without ever hitting those levels.

They're redesigning this, available in some months, mostly due to that issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
I'm setting fuel pressure by jumping my Hobbs harness and running off my secondary pump at full power so no ekp interference whatsoever with engine off

• Informative

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
First, the ekp controls the pump via PWM, so unless full duty is being requested, you're not likely going to hit the target. You need to trigger the fuel pump full on using inpa of bavtech then set the pressure.

Second, their design will only return gas to the pump/passenger side of the tank when the regulator bleeds off pressure, bad design. You may be cruising for some time without ever hitting those levels.

They're redesigning this, available in some months, mostly due to that issue.

Great to know as I just received one in the mail!

@nyt thanks for this info. Can you explain more what happens in that situation? I am assuming if you are low on fuel(1/4 tank or less) and driving with cruise control and/or just not getting on it for a while I assume you end up with fuel starvation? What is the solution when that happens? The car stumbles and engine shuts off while I am driving 80 mph or worse 5mph in stop and go traffic. I then have to pull over, turn the car off, lock, unlock and when it unlocks it will hopefully reprime the system and the regulator then shoots some fuel over?

I assume with BPM4 I can trigger the pumps and set it the regulator that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikejones1208

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Great to know as I just received one in the mail.

If you are low on fuel and driving with cruise control and/or just not getting on it for a while I assume you end up with fuel starvation? What is the solution when that happens?

I assume with BPM4 I can trigger the pumps and set it the regulator that way.
Yeah it be easy to do with a bpm4 for sure, let me know when you get it installed how it goes, trying to see if im going crazy or not lol

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
The issue with setting the BPM4 to just provide more pressure is that the ECU may observe that then pull back duty cycle. What pressure are you setting your regulator to? The ECU targets about 72psi. I adjusted the lpfp target available in the public xdfs, and it didn't seem to work :/ It may not be the right tables. Anyway, once I get the BPM4 installed, I'll log some and see whats going on.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@nyt can you please go into more detail regarding the potential issues with the PR regulator?

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
@nyt can you please go into more detail regarding the potential issues with the PR regulator?

Unless your pumps provide more pressure than the regulator is set to, there will be no return feed from the driver side to passenger side of the tank. So if you're just cruising, it can be an issue.

Stock system has a venturi on the feed to the filter so it returns fuel back.

Once I get my BPM4 installed, hopefully I'll have time tonight, I'll be able to do some logging and see if my pressure drops are caused by software or hardware. If hardware, the restrictions are the stock venturi and filter.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Unless your pumps provide more pressure than the regulator is set to, there will be no return feed from the driver side to passenger side of the tank. So if you're just cruising, it can be an issue.

Stock system has a venturi on the feed to the filter so it returns fuel back.

Once I get my BPM4 installed, hopefully I'll have time tonight, I'll be able to do some logging and see if my pressure drops are caused by software or hardware. If hardware, the restrictions are the stock venturi and filter.
Not sure i follow, the use of the oem fpr in the return line is what provides that pressure to power the venturi

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Not sure i follow, the use of the oem fpr in the return line is what provides that pressure to power the venturi

No, it's not. The stock FPR feeds directly back into the pump bucket.

The venturi is part of the pump output to the filter.