Anyone here with a CIC with DAB+ tuners?

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Hey there,

In my E88 (2013) I retrofitted a CIC (Professional - 2011). It has two DAB tuners but unfortunately not DAB+ compliant. DAB+ is a later version of the DAB standard and BMW introduced CIC with DAB+ tuners in 2012. As far as I know the tuner hardware is still the same: MICROTUNE MT1503EDC based on a Atmel ATR2732/40 chipset (datasheets attached, and only the front-end/baseband chip firmware was updated. I am trying to find a software method to dump the tuner firmware flash chip.

My questions to you are, does any of you own a CIC with DAB+ and is willing to share the qnx dump with me for research purposes? I don't care whether it is a E- or F-series CIC, it seems both are nearly identical, at least for the tuner hardware.

One more question: I heard an E-series CIC can be fitted to a BMW F-series, but the other way around seems not possible. Is that true and what are the reasons for that?

Best wishes,
JockyW

Attachments

• MT1503EDC_datasheet.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Atmel-ATR2732-Front-end.pdf
    255.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Atmel-ATR2740-Baseband.pdf
    187.9 KB · Views: 19

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hey there,

In my E88 (2013) I retrofitted a CIC (Professional - 2011). It has two DAB tuners but unfortunately not DAB+ compliant. DAB+ is a later version of the DAB standard and BMW introduced CIC with DAB+ tuners in 2012. As far as I know the tuner hardware is still the same: MICROTUNE MT1503EDC based on a Atmel ATR2732/40 chipset (datasheets attached, and only the front-end/baseband chip firmware was updated. I am trying to find a software method to dump the tuner firmware flash chip.

My questions to you are, does any of you own a CIC with DAB+ and is willing to share the qnx dump with me for research purposes? I don't care whether it is a E- or F-series CIC, it seems both are nearly identical, at least for the tuner hardware.

One more question: I heard an E-series CIC can be fitted to a BMW F-series, but the other way around seems not possible. Is that true and what are the reasons for that?

Best wishes,
JockyW
Hmmm DAB in Australia has always been DAB+ and BMW debuted DAB in Australia in May 2011
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/bmw/...but-in-bmw-in-australia/2011-04-05/20001.html
That would explain why the hardware has the capability but may need software/firmware to make it work.

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
I also coded it for DAB+ and the antenna connections for the 2 DAB tuners are there as well the yellow one for Band III and the green for L-Band. In my region there are only DAB+ stations and I always get "no signal". I'm pretty sure a MT1503EDC firmware update will do the trick.

I'd appreciate if you could check your unit has working DAB+ tuners.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I’d like to check too but I’d need to connect a know good DAB antenna to be sure of that....
can you suggest something cheap and easy ?

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Yeah to begin with it should have the green/yellow connectors. This antenna will work at least for testing things.
If you are proficient using inpa or tool32 it can also be checked if your unit has dab tuners.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yeah to begin with it should have the green/yellow connectors. This antenna will work at least for testing things.
If you are proficient using inpa or tool32 it can also be checked if your unit has dab tuners.
I have INPA but would need step by step instructions. It’d be easier to just look at the back of the thing, if I do I’ll get the antenna

jockyw2001

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
see the attached pics of the rear-side. The plug type is called FAKRA

and yes the linked antenna has a SMB plug so you would need an adapter cable. For testing you could also use this antenna with FAKRA plug

Attachments

• cic-rear-side1.JPG
    cic-rear-side1.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 73
  • cic-rear-side2.JPG
    cic-rear-side2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

rene-dev

Jun 26, 2020
I have e and f series cic with dab+, which files do you need? Im also interested in the e/f difference, the Hardware Looks very similar.