Anybody use ECS/Turner two-piece brake rotors?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m thinking of upgrading to these Turner/ECS two-piece brake rotors, primarily to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass, thereby improving handling, braking and acceleration. Anybody use them? Any comments or other recommendations for two-piece rotors to replace the stock rotors? (I don’t want to spend $thousands on a big brake kit).
Thanks.
Front OEM size two-piece brake rotors:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...front-brake-rotors-pair-348x30/003294ecs01kt/

Rear OEM size two-piece brake rotors:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-rear-brake-rotors-pair-336x22/010830ecs01kt/

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have seen seen plenty of used BBKs go for 3500ish or less. Example: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430781&highlight=BBK

You are at 1385 for taxes and shipping. So almost half the price of a used BBK. Just a thought. Buy the used BBK, sell your stock stuff. Probably be under 3k at the end of the day and then you have a 'real' upgrade.

I would not pay basically $1400 for 2 piece rotors to go with OEM calipers personally. It is a lot of money for small gains.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I have seen seen plenty of used BBKs go for 3500ish or less. Example: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430781&highlight=BBK

You are at 1385 for taxes and shipping. So almost half the price of a used BBK. Just a thought. Buy the used BBK, sell your stock stuff. Probably be under 3k at the end of the day and then you have a 'real' upgrade.

I would not pay basically $1400 for 2 piece rotors to go with OEM calipers personally. It is a lot of money for small gains.
Thanks for your feedback. Braking right now works personally fine for me - I don’t track the car, just spirited driving. So I don’t feel a need to spend >$3,000 mainly for braking gains. But I suspect the 5lb reduction per rotor (24 lb stock —> 19 lb two-piece) should be a noticeable upgrade in view of the fact that I noticed a huge improvement in acceleration, braking and handling when I reduced ~10 lbs per corner when I upgraded my stock wheels and run flats to Apex ARC-8 and Michelin PSS tires. So I suspect another 5lbs, albeit closer to the axle, will be noticeable to me. Is it worth $1400? That’s what I’m considering. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torgus

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I found the 2pc rotor upgrade to be worth it for DD use. Brakes never fade on me in regular use. They'll still fade on track without track pads. Totally fine for canyon carving/autox/light hpde

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman and Torgus

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
How much lighter are racing brake rotors and are their any downsides?

When I replaced mine I weighed them. RB rotors came in as advertised at 17.7lbs front and 12.2lbs rear. I forget what stock rotors weigh but I remember it being something like 5-8 lbs less per axle. This is for the 135i.

Downside is that the rear requires use of Evo X pads. Also have to run without pad shims at first if you decide to use the RB pads, which are quite good, since they are thicker than BMW spec.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been running the ecs rotors for a long time on my 1m using hawk 5.0 pads with the akmotorsport.net calliper kit.

Its been flawless for the last 20000 miles or so.

The rotors are still not showing any signs of wear and have been pretty awesome, I would definitely get them again if needed.

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Awesome. Thanks for your input. I pulled the trigger the other day and will be installing them this week along with new Cool Carbon pads and sensors. As most know, I don’t track the car but enjoy safe and responsible spirited driving from time to time.