Aftermarket Valve Cover and PCV

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
Can someone point me in the right direction? My M18 valve cover will be delivered today. My engine is on an engine stand so I have some time.

I am thinking about getting a VRSF charge pipe...

What should I do for the PCV system. I do not have an OCC, yet.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

There are lots of diagrams and Q/A in this thread.

I have been asking how to migrate from BMW VC to an aftermarket and how to hook things up. You will need your head to be plugged (removing the cyclonic separator from equation), will need dual catch cans, will need a check valve and some way to route vacuum.

As for benefits, you will not be replacing the VC constantly. Your valves should be cleaner. The VC will not get clogged up.

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
@svtfast on my m18 cover, one -10 goes to a catch can and then the inlet.

Then the other -10 is VTA with the flapper valve and dumps near the rear of the car with just a filter. Might add a vacuum pump on a Hobbs at some point but ehh.

Doesn't smell, turbo drains, inlets pretty clean, and it doesn't push oil past the seals.

Didn't block my head ports, and its been holding 25psi for 17k miles now...

ymmv

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
@svtfast on my m18 cover, one -10 goes to a catch can and then the inlet.

Then the other -10 is VTA with the flapper valve and dumps near the rear of the car with just a filter. Might add a vacuum pump on a Hobbs at some point but ehh.

Doesn't smell, turbo drains, inlets pretty clean, and it doesn't push oil past the seals.

Didn't block my head ports, and its been holding 25psi for 17k miles now...

ymmv

And also quite illegal in most parts of the world and doesn't offer but hinders performance.

Vacuum plays a major role in an engine especially in idle and deceleration situations and shouldn't be overlooked.

Just because your setup doesn't cause any issues doesn't mean he can't make a little extra hp with a properly set up PCV system.

Here is a good read on the basics

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So ... who has set up a rig to actually measure their crankcase? Seems like a dipstick or oil cap solution would do it. This seems like a worthwhile thing to have.

Filippo

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
So ... who has set up a rig to actually measure their crankcase? Seems like a dipstick or oil cap solution would do it. This seems like a worthwhile thing to have.

Filippo
We have direct data logging of our crankcase vacuum via an input with our Adaptronic M2000 as we are running a large vacuum pump. I posted logs previously were seeing about 4-6 IN/HG at idle and 11IN/HG at Redline