Aftermarket cowl filter covers

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I don't understand what's so bad about the OE cowling. It's functional and that's what's important in an engine bay.

You have to strip the whole cowl down everytime you want to work on the engine, like when playing with the gaps on sparkplugs

The factory cowl keeps the heat in the engine bay especially in traffic

With bms filters and modified cowl, cooler engine temps as it allows heat to escape easier especially when running an alloy intake

Thank you

I'll check them out

Who is running just the BMS cowl filter? Are people experiencing problems with water coming in the filters?

Lots of racers run them but i wasn't going to sit around and wait for water to get in before i done something about it

Prevention is cheaper than cure.

Last edited:

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I much prefer the sound of the OEM cowl setup on my E82 versus the BMS cowl filters I had on there for a while. And at this point, I can remove all that stuff in less than 60 seconds.

Xm-n54

Private
May 8, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335xi
I much prefer the sound of the OEM cowl setup on my E82 versus the BMS cowl filters I had on there for a while. And at this point, I can remove all that stuff in less than 60 seconds.
Have you had issues with water getting in with the BMS?

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Have you had issues with water getting in with the BMS?

I ran them for about 25,000 miles and didn't experience any issues besides my own paranoia of thinking I was getting important things wet. But eventually my sound sensitivity made me want to switch back to stock, and now that I've been running the OEM cowl setup for around 20,000 miles, I don't think I'd go back.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Each to their own, on what setup people want to run

This thread was started to see if anyone wanted covers and quickly got derailed like on most forums with opinions what people should run

Not everybody wants to run oem or m3

How about we stick to the topic and who wants covers msg me instead

• Dumb
Reactions: buster84

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Wouldn't this cause an issue with the a/c blower creating a vacuum? The cabin filter goes over those, so capping them off seems like it might be detrimental. I ran without my cabin filter for a few months, hated smells, and put it back on. Ill keep my frecious filter.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Good a proper question

No it doesn't cap them off it has a 10mm gap between the filter and cover

It allows air to enter through the bottom

Reactions: langsbr

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Its a beauty item. And you can keep it all bolted down snug while keeping factory finish.

That's fair I guess. The M3/ hacked up E82 cowl does look nice. But I'd hate to lose the hood seal to be completely honest, it's functional in maintaining proper pressure and airflow dynamics over the hood and windshield while at speed.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Every setup has its pro's and cons, no doubt.

Its up to the individual to choose what they are trying to achieve and what they are willing to sacrifice.

This thread was never about cowls or what someone should or should not be running, but if we must go there
here is a pro/con list

Pros

OEM = Stock looks
M3 = Looks far better than stock with slightly cooler running temps
Modified = Cool running temps, with good looks.

Cons

OEM = Heat retention
M3 = Expensive to implement properly, possible smell coming through vents as it doesn't seal properly. eg oil smell
Modified stock = Not cheap, possible oil smell if you have a leaking rocker cover.

How boring will the platform be without choices.

I'm not making these but I can get them made if someone is interested that's all.

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Hey martymil, not trying to blow up your thread. Just seems like a good place to talk about it. Happy to make a new one or have mods split my comments out if it makes you feel better.

That said, opening this does help with underhood temps at a stop, which is nice for strip/street races. BUT, not having that gasket will increase temps while running at speed due to the pressure differential created at the base of the windshield. The original design actually lets more hot air out once moving due to airflow.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
So I got about 20 or so sets out there now without a single complaint, no water in air con or valve cover when running pr coils with the cowl modified as in this thread, unlike when not running one at all with bms filters.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So I got about 20 or so sets out there now without a single complaint, no water in air con or valve cover when running pr coils with the cowl modified as in this thread, unlike when not running one at all with bms filters.
If you offered a plastic option as well I think youd sell a lot more - I chopped off the "scoop" parts of the OE filter cover that goes over those inlets and used longer screws in order to seal off my BMS filters from rain and help keep proper drainage. It works very well and doesnt look horrible, but I wouldnt mind a little more OE looking option personally. Fancy metal engine bay dress up bits are always nice but I feel that's a smaller market tbh, if you offered these as a nice plastic with different finish options (black, carbon look, whatever else) I think youd be able to sell plenty - especially if you mention that it helps run BMS filters without worry of water getting in the bay as that seems to be the main reason people avoid the BMS filters. But hey, that's just me.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
100% agree but we tried it.

3d printed it but it was too weak and broke easily and it made it bulky and just didn't look like the current ones which look fantastic.

Injection moulding is better but the mould would be 20k usd but it would cost 1 dollar to make a set but there isn't a huge demand for these as just read through this thread and you can see what people think.

If i had a huge preorder of lets say 20 sets I could bring the price down another 50 dollars to 250 usd Inc shipping to the USA.

These are totally hand made and powder coated and the colour match is perfect to the oem plastic and thats why they cost so much

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
100% agree but we tried it.

3d printed it but it was too weak and broke easily and it made it bulky and just didn't look like the current ones which look fantastic.

Injection moulding is better but the mould would be 20k usd but it would cost 1 dollar to make a set but there isn't a huge demand for these as just read through this thread and you can see what people think.

If i had a huge preorder of lets say 20 sets I could bring the price down another 50 dollars to 250 usd Inc shipping to the USA.

These are totally hand made and powder coated and the colour match is perfect to the oem plastic and thats why they cost so much

This is exactly why i still never released my hooded cowl filters. Not enough demand for the cost to make them all for people to cry about the price.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Once people see these they appreciate the workmanship that go into making these and how good they actually look
but the price is a little steep I know but that's out of my control.

I could get them made in china but they want at least an order of 500 sets to make it worth their while.
It doesn't bring the price down much, maybe 80 dollars on the total cost and its a huge investment and would't look as nice.

Seriously how many could I sell, 50 sets if i'm lucky.

The n54 market is slowly dying and only the most hardcore are persevering.

Last edited: