Been waiting on @WedgePerformance to detail his 4L80 journey but figured I'd bring this over from @dmacpro91 at n54tech. Real good stuff here, assuming they can figure out the controller and the stall.
The kit I bought included:
Ford 8.8 Rear
4L80E w/custom bellhousing
Install went pretty smooth. Rear bolted right in and the trans mates up to the engine great. Only modification needed was to cut a little bit out of the tunnel, tweak it, and weld it back in. I'll get pics of this tomorrow. Oh I also needed to have the driveshaft shortened a bit due to me being a 135 instead of a 335, but that was no big deal. The build quality of this kit is absolutely top notch as are all of the products I've received from ADE.
As for the trans controller, I decided to go with the TCI EZ TCU. As we get this project buttoned up I'll provide more info and some videos.
Car is basically done, just need to wire up the reverse lights. We were able to test it on the rack yesterday and everything is functional (performance mode, manual shifting through all gears, etc.). Ended up needing to add a switch to make the car think the clutch is engaged (for starting). We could have done something like tie it into the brake switch, but I didn't want to chance any weird behavior when brake-boosting. The TCU is mounted behind the AC controls which is a damn near perfect fit. I should be picking it up today. Once I get it back I'll be spending some time getting the gear calculations worked out in the flash so the ECU knows what gear it is in (mainly needed for things like boost limits/gear). In the pic of the 2 switches the red one is the clutch switch and the gray one is for the line lock.
*Use a toggle switch to simulate the clutch signal to the CAS (for starting).
*Leave clutch wiring hooked up so DME doesn't think clutch is always depressed.
*To use paddles, we did a bit of custom wiring in the steering wheel. Up/down shift wires were cut coming out of the back of the steering wheel and that wiring was run to the TCU.
*RPM signal was retrieved through the wire at the OBDII port.
*TPS Signal from DME grey connector position 20.
*Posi-taps make like MUCH easier.
So I finally got a chance to get the car to the track, but it is definitely going to take some tweaking to get this working better. Overall best run today was 10.91 @ 128 with extreme throttle closures throughout the entire run (log attached).
First thing is the stall. The current stall in the torque converter is really high and feels loose pretty much all the way to redline and barely drops when shifting. I've spoken with Andy about this and I'll be pulling the torque converter this week to send to him to adjust.
Second thing is the TCM. The EZ TCU was pretty simple to setup/install, but lacks more advanced customization directly through the TCM itself. Basically the torque converter clutch never "locks" when at 100% throttle (no option to set that up through the unit either). There is an extra wire which can be driven to ground to manually override the lockup so I'll be talking to Terry to see if I can control this via the JB4 somehow, but it would be nice to have some options directly through the handheld interface. The other problem this amplifies is overheating. Since the TC never locks up, it generates A LOT of heat throughout the run. I have a more than sufficient trans cooler and still was getting overheating warnings after basically every run. This TCU also lacks any form of true logging so I may end up looking for other options.
Third thing is gear readout. Since the car has to stay coded as a manual and use the "manual" way of calculating gear (basically a formula using road speed, rpm, final ratio, etc), the DME and JB4 have no clue what gear the car is actually in (since all the slip in the torque converter can have the car at the same speed and the same rpm in virtually every gear). This creates issues for things like boost by gear. I've worked out the serial protocol for the EZ TCU and can read the gear parameter so I may end up making a little chip to feed that into the JB4.
As far as the throttle closures, I really need to get my rpm limiter out of the way and just shift it a tad earlier to see if that will clean it up.
Anyway, I feel like once I get these 3 things worked out the car will be incredible. I'll keep this updated as things progress.