Ad-e 8.8 inch rear diff

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
The issue will be getting a driveshaft made to fit n54 transmission.

I went through this with dss and many Australian companies. No one would make a driveshaft to fit the n54 transmission.

They need a cnc adapter for a more common flange like dana spicer. Otherwise you will have to join a n54 driveshaft flange to a ford diff.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Even when you get your 8.8 diff bracket, 8.8 diff, axles you will still need a cnc adapter unless you can get someone to make a custom n54 flange.

Mfactory obviously have the N54 flange on their carbon fibre driveshaft. Thats who I would be contacting about seeing if they can rig up a ford 8.8 dana spicer flange to the diff on there carbon setup. Otherwise you need the cnc adapter or someone to make a custom flange.

Photos below of cnc adapter.
Video of how it fits ade 1000hp driveshaft.

Attachments

• 20190604_112251.jpg
    20190604_112251.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190604_112300.jpg
    20190604_112300.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

JimmyNeutron

Lurker
Feb 11, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 335i
Just wanted to shed some light on anyone that has thought about purchasing their kit. Don’t do it unless you’re prepared to wait several months without communication and with several failed eta’s. I’m to the point where I’m about to start a case with PayPal with this guy. Originally I was told that this would be 2-3 weeks tops. At this point I am 2 weeks past the third promised Monday ship date... I really really wanted this setup because I wanted a bulletproof drivetrain and now I’m to the point where I’d rather deal with potential broken parts in my pursuit of a bulletproof option.

I would start the claim immediately. Do NOT bother waiting any longer, as Andy will probably never respond. I ran into the same issue when I ordered a driveshaft, differential, and axles from Andy in 2018. I emailed him before ordering and he said he could ship $5900 worth of parts out by the end of the week. After four months, several unfulfilled promises, and eventually being ghosted when I delivered an ultimatum, I filed a claim with American Express and they refunded my money in a couple weeks. Start the process now before it's too late.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I would start the claim immediately. Do NOT bother waiting any longer, as Andy will probably never respond. I ran into the same issue when I ordered a driveshaft, differential, and axles from Andy in 2018. I emailed him before ordering and he said he could ship $5900 worth of parts out by the end of the week. After four months, several unfulfilled promises, and eventually being ghosted when I delivered an ultimatum, I filed a claim with American Express and they refunded my money in a couple weeks. Start the process now before it's too late.
And herein lies the issue. You got your money back, so Andy had to shaft someone else. Heck, that 6000 you got back may have come from the OP, lol.

He's been doing this for years and will likely never stop as it's too easy for him to continue getting away with. He's been found numerous times to lie and claim he's sent refunds and that it must be a "bank error". Dude has more bank errors than a monopoly game.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
It's funny to me because everyone likes to bash JPworkz 24/7 in the N54 community but I've actually seen people get his parts (albeit rarely)

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We're still confused as to why people are doing this instead of simply swapping in the M3 diff with a wavetrac, and custom driveshaft. We have them in all our cars and beat the living piss out of them at the 900WHp range. Have never missed a beat, can be picked up on eBay for nothing, and bolts right in. You can lead a horse to water...

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
We're still confused as to why people are doing this instead of simply swapping in the M3 diff with a wavetrac, and custom driveshaft. We have them in all our cars and beat the living piss out of them at the 900WHp range. Have never missed a beat, can be picked up on eBay for nothing, and bolts right in. You can lead a horse to water...

The cost is pretty similar for us peasants that have to pay retail

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
The cost is pretty similar for us peasants that have to pay retail
Were buying our diffs from ebay like everyone else. You can get a full rear subframe for less than $1500 if you look hard enough. That includes Axles and all the M3 arms. You helped make my point if the price is even in the same ballpark, and everything bolts up, why are people waiting 9 months to get something "custom". Doesn't seem to make sense, but that's ok. Also for the people who do not want to source their own small rear brake kit to clear 15's we found a good source for those parts and will be making a post soon about offering them.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Were buying our diffs from ebay like everyone else. You can get a full rear subframe for less than $1500 if you look hard enough. That includes Axles and all the M3 arms. You helped make my point if the price is even in the same ballpark, and everything bolts up, why are people waiting 9 months to get something "custom". Doesn't seem to make sense, but that's ok. Also for the people who do not want to source their own small rear brake kit to clear 15's we found a good source for those parts and will be making a post soon about offering them.

Does the m3 diff have different gearing options? I know if you are auto then it’s right between the manual version and the dct.

An explorer diff is $270 shipped. $500 for an Eaton LSD. Yeah the DSS axles are more but also stronger. The explorer diff is lighter too and obviously better aftermarket

How much is the wavetrac for the m3?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Does the m3 diff have different gearing options? I know if you are auto then it’s right between the manual version and the dct.

An explorer diff is $270 shipped. $500 for an Eaton LSD. Yeah, the DSS axles are more but also stronger. The explorer diff is lighter too and obviously better aftermarket

How much is the wavetrac for the m3?
The M3 has as many or more FD options than 8.8 if you are looking in the right place. Also, you do NOT need the wavetrac the M3 diff comes with a very capable, and stout LSD from the factory. It's just not up to the task of 900WHP, and straight-line launches if that is what you are going for. Stock M3 axles are what we still use, have yet to break one. This is with extremely hard launches. You can literally be up, and running on an M3 rear end for less than $2000 if you look around. I am not sure why everyone wants to argue, but if you want to pay more, and have to wait months for custom parts, by all means, have at it.

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
I figured you were running DSS axles. Buying the ebay rear end, DSS axles, Wavetrac, and a drive shaft for a bullet proof setup will end up costing more in the long run than a bullet proof 8.8. Not an argument, just a valid point.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
The M3 has as many or more FD options than 8.8 if you are looking in the right place. Also, you do NOT need the wavetrac the M3 diff comes with a very capable, and stout LSD from the factory. It's just not up to the task of 900WHP, and straight-line launches if that is what you are going for. Stock M3 axles are what we still use, have yet to break one. This is with extremely hard launches. You can literally be up, and running on an M3 rear end for less than $2000 if you look around. I am not sure why everyone wants to argue, but if you want to pay more, and have to wait months for custom parts, by all means, have at it.

I think it's a valid option but the big downside to the M3 diff is that you may have to get new gearing and if you are seeking this upgrade almost certainly a new LSD. Kinda ruins the value proposition don't you think?

Yes the M3 axles are strong, but the explorer diff is 31 spline, good luck breaking those. Not to mention it's lighter and while I am surprised to hear there are a ton of FD options for the M3 diff, the 8.8 is like the LS swap of differentials, hard to beat when it comes to aftermarket IMO.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
You can't beat the 8.8 imo. Honestly if you could have both for the same cost why would you not go with the 8.8? As said above, the LS swap of diffs whith a large aftermarket. You can't say even close to the same for the m3 diff.

I guarantee the DSS axles are stronger than the factory M3 axles, same goes for the driveshaft etc. Seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JBacon335
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I think it's a valid option but the big downside to the M3 diff is that you may have to get new gearing and if you are seeking this upgrade almost certainly a new LSD. Kinda ruins the value proposition don't you think?

Yes the M3 axles are strong, but the explorer diff is 31 spline, good luck breaking those. Not to mention it's lighter and while I am surprised to hear there are a ton of FD options for the M3 diff, the 8.8 is like the LS swap of differentials, hard to beat when it comes to aftermarket IMO.
You have to get new gearing? 3.15FD is available on Ebay right now. Just found one for $500 in about 15 seconds. Show me one person up, and running on an 8.8 for $2000, and I will rest my case. It's not possible. The AD-E is kit is $3800 before you even buy a diff, add $800 for a used diff, and decent LSD, you are close to $5K. These are all facts. That is surprises you the M3 diff has any FD ratio you can really think of just means you have not researched it much. Again if people want to argue about spending more, and waiting longer. Feel free. Nothing could convince us to change from an M3 set up to the 8.8 in our cars, Andy tried many times.

Ps. You may to just do a little reading on the domestic forums about those 31 spline axles before saying they will never break... Quotes this like these are everywhere. DSS directly told us M3 factory axles are good for over 800WHP...
31 spline.JPG

https://forums.corral.net/forums/drag-racing/2424945-what-limit-31-spline-axles.html

Last edited:

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Well the 8.8 like I mentioned is $270 all day. It has 3.55 gears so it's close the the 3.46 in my car. The bracket is another $270.

8.8 - $270
Bracket - $270
LSD - $500
DSS axles - $1050

Total cost so far is $2380, so the difference is in the driveshaft really at this point. If the driveshaft is reasonable it's only going to be a little more money than the M3 conversion for something lighter and stronger, and if have any problems the 8.8 is the gold standard of diff conversions so you have parts for days

• Agree
Reactions: Dc317 and Torgus

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
You have to get new gearing? 3.15FD is available on Ebay right now. Just found one for $500 in about 15 seconds. Show me one person up, and running on an 8.8 for $2000, and I will rest my case. It's not possible. The AD-E is kit is $3800 before you even buy a diff, add $800 for a used diff, and decent LSD, you are close to $5K. These are all facts. That is surprises you the M3 diff has any FD ratio you can really think of just means you have not researched it much. Again if people want to argue about spending more, and waiting longer. Feel free. Nothing could convince us to change from an M3 set up to the 8.8 in our cars, Andy tried many times.

Ps. You may to just do a little reading on the domestic forums about those 31 spline axles before saying they will never break... Quotes this like these are everywhere. DSS directly told us M3 factory axles are good for over 800WHP...
View attachment 27652

https://forums.corral.net/forums/drag-racing/2424945-what-limit-31-spline-axles.html

The S2000 guys regularly make big power on the 8.8, so do the Supra guys...in fact, so do the RX7 guys. It's the go to axle swap in basically every single import out there.

I'm not saying that the M3 swap is bad or shouldn't be done, I have no clue why you are being so combative. The one good thing that AD Engineering did was try to take things that have been well documented in basically every car community outside the N54 one, and bring it to this platform.

Where the M3 loses in my opinion is that you have to change the gearing and LSD. For a low power manual car that can afford to just drop in the M3 diff and axles and run them, they are good to go. Once you start changing the gearing and diff why wouldn't you just switch to a diff that's widely supported?

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone

View attachment 27652

Shouldn’t you be responding to turbo warranty emails?