Active Autowerke Intercooler DIY From BMW DIY Guy

Mike @ XPH

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 18, 2016
Las Vegas
Per BMW DIY GUY
I wanted to follow up my charge pipe installation DIY, with the logical next step of the intercooler.
**Full disclosure, I worked with Mike of Extreme Power House directly in this project**
Simply.. WOAH. The factory intercooler is like 40% the size and 30% the weight of the new FMIC. Laying them both side by side is really impressive just to look at alone. The AA FMIC is an impressive and heavy upgrade! Even the welding work is impressive, at least to me.
I got the installation done today, and the video posted to Youtube. The install is really straight forward and takes simple tools. I *highly* recommend this upgrade, especially if you are walking down the performance path of JB4, CP, and (hopefully for me next)the downpipe and exhaust.
All in all really impressive, and the butt dyno says things are getting sharper in response and quicker in get up and go.
Thanks and I welcome any questions and feedback. Thank you to Mike of Extreme Power House, who has been amazing to work with this whole time!
Make sure to also check out his Active Autowerke charge pipe DIY

JCEwing23

Nov 7, 2016
Jax, Fl
I also went the active route for my Fmic...was very impressed as well and installation was a snap, pull the tray, 2 t25s and pop the clips...bingo was her nameO...throw the active up and in and wiggle wiggle wiggle...clip her in and screw your toes tite and back with the tray! But I'll tell yeah when your boostin at 21# the 5" ain't enough...wish I went to a 7" but the active is super nice for a 5"

Mike @ XPH

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 18, 2016
Las Vegas
I also went the active route for my Fmic...was very impressed as well and installation was a snap, pull the tray, 2 t25s and pop the clips...bingo was her nameO...throw the active up and in and wiggle wiggle wiggle...clip her in and screw your toes tite and back with the tray! But I'll tell yeah when your boostin at 21# the 5" ain't enough...wish I went to a 7" but the active is super nice for a 5"

I think you mean 6" intercooler ... 7" is for the E chassis only, will not fit F chassis cars.

Active intercooler similar to VRSF 5" sport are not meant for heavily modified cars

JCEwing23

Nov 7, 2016
Jax, Fl
Ahhh, I just need tha biggest I can fit, I'm in the middle of puttin the front m3 clip conversion now. Hoping that the additional airflow will help