AC Fabrication Billet Valve cover!

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
I never had a cracked valve cover in my 9 years/62K miles owning my 08 335xi. Then again, I only run 22-23 psi boost on stockers. What conditions typically cause cracked valve covers? Heat? Pressure? Both?

I'm not sure if there has been a clear diagnosis for the cause but the most common area to crack is on the rear turbo side by the strut tower. I haven't had mine crack but I replaced it at 60k miles when I did my index 12 injectors since I was already in there. Seems like a combination of heat and stress on the plastic and doesn't effect all cars like the water pump, HPFP, and injectors do.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'm not sure if there has been a clear diagnosis for the cause but the most common area to crack is on the rear turbo side by the strut tower. I haven't had mine crack but I replaced it at 60k miles when I did my index 12 injectors since I was already in there. Seems like a combination of heat and stress on the plastic and doesn't effect all cars like the water pump, HPFP, and injectors do.
I've never heard of one cracking there before you. Every cover, including my own, that I've heard of, cracked just behind the oil fill cap portion.

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
I've never heard of one cracking there before you. Every cover, including my own, that I've heard of, cracked just behind the oil fill cap portion.
I know where you're talking about. On the drivers side of the injectors inside the divided portion of the cover. I had been discussing cracked covers in 2014 when I replaced mine with another group that had seen cracks on that outer portion along with oil in the coil pack reservoir from the leaking gasket. I had seen oil in my coil packs and thats how we had gotten to the topic. Like I said, mine never cracked but I had replaced it anyway under PM but the people I had discussed it with had cracked theirs in that rear passenger side area. Might be misleading though since its anecdotal and not first person evidence.

Reactions: The Convert

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Anthony borrowed one lol. I think later in time he will get one of his own after seeing how easy it did what we needed it to do.

If you contact them to get a rep out to the shop, they'll usually scan some items for you and then email them to you. Might only be able to get away with it once per rep before having to make a purchase, but always an option if you're in a pinch.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Hehe, thanx. Did you know VAC motorsports is considering making a billet VC too. I told them there's 3 other companies trying to make one so hop on it soon.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hehe, thanx. Did you know VAC motorsports is considering making a billet VC too. I told them there's 3 other companies trying to make one so hop on it soon.

Tell them to come here and make a thread or give some details!