A simple-ish ConnectedDrive server (CICPortal)

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
IMG_20210808_192342.jpg

As long awaited/discussed,
Github repo with latest code and instructions: https://github.com/superwofy/CICPortal

The instructions are quite technical and may be hard to follow. I'm not fantastic at writing tutorials so if you have suggestions, I welcome them.
I would suggest that the VM is used for testing/further development. Once you're happy, a small cloud instance would be most appropriate to deploy.
That's what I'm currently doing; $5/m amazon instance.

I will commit more time to this for further improvements/optimizations when the car is complete. Right now it's on axle stands so I haven't actually 'lived' with the portal.

Please bear in mind that the purpose of this project is to show everyone that's interested how it's done, not showcase web development/infrastructure skills. If you can do better *and* show the world how it's done then by all means do so. Information hogging is a cancer in this community.
It's a little 'server' that displays weather (didn't get a chance to test thoroughly yet). Doesn't need HA, replication, CDN or to serve 100k requests. Docker may be a better option if you're going with the self-host option.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_192354.jpg
    IMG_20210808_192354.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20210808_192417.jpg
    IMG_20210808_192417.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20210808_192429.jpg
    IMG_20210808_192429.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20210808_192502.jpg
    IMG_20210808_192502.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
This is a great jump start for someone that has a great interest but unable to get over the hump of a working end to end solution.

Great for you to package it up so nicely. Maybe we will see some fun contributions from others!

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
This is a great jump start for someone that has a great interest but unable to get over the hump of a working end to end solution.

Great for you to package it up so nicely. Maybe we will see some fun contributions from others!

I hope so, this has been discussed since 2017!

Cool stuff, what type of other things could you potentially do with this?

You're quite limited in what the browser supports. It's Access Netfront 3.4, I've listed the specs at the bottom of the repo.
That being said, if you can convert whatever it is to HTML and *minimal* javascript, it can be done.

The irony is not lost on me however. You can do everything and better on your phone. Since there's no video playback this doesn't really add any value; fun to play with for a while.
Telematics *may* be interesting if someone i wishes to reverse the NGTP messages. Without examples tho, it's probably close to impossible.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
Please bear in mind that the purpose of this project is to show everyone that's interested how it's done, not showcase web development/infrastructure skills. If you can do better *and* show the world how it's done then by all means do so. Information hogging is a cancer in this community.
It's a little 'server' that displays weather (didn't get a chance to test thoroughly yet). Doesn't need HA, replication, CDN or to serve 100k requests. Docker may be a better option if you're going with the self-host option.

Jokingly you don't have time to improve own skills to know infrastructure products make easy to develop and deploy even DIY project and show everyone own illiteracy :)))
For sure world should know that you pay amazon 5$ while Oracle offer for a long time lifetime free VPS.

Telematics *may* be interesting if someone i wishes to reverse the NGTP messages. Without examples tho, it's probably close to impossible.
Screen already was posted on CT. I'm proud that I did almost impossible :) As a start point you can use provisioning XML from car with Combox and connected drive from factory, there is example at bottom lines.

Probably community will wait another 5+ years while somebody with advanced views and opinions make alternative NBT, EVO, MGU support for them :)))

Attachments

• 111111.jpg
    111111.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Dumb
Reactions: nahor
Apr 26, 2022
Edmonton, AB
Ride
2007 BMW 335Xi
I don't mind paying. Love to get send to directions enabled by sending to myinfo. Figure I'll start with what some like @superwofy have been able to achieve and go from there. As for @volaltd, I've messaged him directly with all the information he requested.

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Thanks for laying this out as you did. I'm looking forward to checking out volaltd's solution as well.

Good luck 👍, I made some commits today to improve loading times and bring it up to date. Everything you need is there but it may be frustrating at times. Biggest issues I've had were with Bluetooth tether connection not initiating. Also occasionally getting stuck in Connecting... loops.

I don't mind paying. Love to get send to directions enabled by sending to myinfo. Figure I'll start with what some like @superwofy have been able to achieve and go from there. As for @volaltd, I've messaged him directly with all the information he requested.

I'm quite sure this is possible in the online portal but I haven't found the right HTML tag that would activate the nav. If anyone knows this, let us know.

Phillip1993

Sep 7, 2022
hi guys, new to this going to try and give it a go, seem to be stuck on the simple thing of just logging into the VM it keeps telling login incorrect

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
hi guys, new to this going to try and give it a go, seem to be stuck on the simple thing of just logging into the VM it keeps telling login incorrect

I don't actively maintain that VM. All the portal files on it are now out of date. I would instead use the instructions on git and set up something new. Shouldn't take you too long.

In any case, the credentials are on the .ova. Did you try?:
User: bitnami
Pwd: cicportal0

Phillip1993

Sep 7, 2022
I don't actively maintain that VM. All the portal files on it are now out of date. I would instead use the instructions on git and set up something new. Shouldn't take you too long.

In any case, the credentials are on the .ova. Did you try?:
I did try
No luck but I will try and set 1 up instead, it will be upto date then which will be a bonus, just got to get my head around the rest then, thanks for the reply

Mich21050

Feb 15, 2023
Would theoretically the original ConnectedDrive still work? In theory the only thing that is being changed is the bluetooth proxy ip so it should still work or am I wrong?

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Would theoretically the original ConnectedDrive still work? In theory the only thing that is being changed is the bluetooth proxy ip so it should still work or am I wrong?

I believe it still does but only via the Combox SIM with an active plan. The proxy refuses any connections from outside the cell network.

sjum

Mar 24, 2023
I believe it still does but only via the Combox SIM with an active plan. The proxy refuses any connections from outside the cell network.
Hey!
There could be any updates on yours project? As @volaltd mentioned, remote control is possible.

jmalm

Jun 2, 2020
Hi @superwofy spectacular work!!!. I will try to run it on my CIC and see if it works. I am a backend developer in JAVA and ASP.Net/Core. If you need help do not doubt in contacting me. The issue of reverse engineering embedded equipment (such as CIC and Combox) I can not help.

I think this should be publicized more to get more help. It would be very interesting to make an application like "MyBMW" for our cars, because reading I think it is possible, isn't it?

Best regards and again great work to all. :tonguewink:

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Hi @superwofy spectacular work!!!. I will try to run it on my CIC and see if it works. I am a backend developer in JAVA and ASP.Net/Core. If you need help do not doubt in contacting me. The issue of reverse engineering embedded equipment (such as CIC and Combox) I can not help.

I think this should be publicized more to get more help. It would be very interesting to make an application like "MyBMW" for our cars, because reading I think it is possible, isn't it?

Best regards and again great work to all. :tonguewink:

It should work but you'll probably spend a while until it works right. For testing, I'd use the exact setup I described on Git. Make sure to read the notes as well as some of the issues took hours.

None of the remote functions are implemented. I don't know how and have not devoted any time to it. It would require a working SIM in the car too - not a huge deal, but it's an extra headache.

Feel free to submit pull requests 👍

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Hi superwofy,
Thanks for all your hard work with this, it's really appreciated.
Is there any chance you could PM me with another source please, your Mega link is broken.
Thank you

I'm afraid I deleted it altogether. It was very old and more hassle than it's worth in any case.
You're much better off either creating a local server and hosting the files or instead a cheap cloud instance.
All info on how to set it up is in the github repo.

Arthur635d

Oct 10, 2022
I'm afraid I deleted it altogether. It was very old and more hassle than it's worth in any case.
You're much better off either creating a local server and hosting the files or instead a cheap cloud instance.
All info on how to set it up is in the github repo.
Thanks for the quick reply. No problem with that. I have downloaded the Github and thanks for building that. I'll read through the files and do as you suggest. Cheers.