20201209_112653.jpg
20201204_155908.jpg

video

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Which turbo? Im starting to have a coolection. Heres my newest.

Attachments

• Resized_20201224_193855.jpeg
    Resized_20201224_193855.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 20

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Lol what are the turbo options ? I dig it really tight fitment but you made it work well done

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Sorry but those bends and welding will hurt flow badly but its a good attempt.

I'm not saying it wont make power but it could make more if they where smoother by using stainless donut or 1d turns to minimise the sharp turns.

I'd be getting rid of that sharp turn on the dump coming of the turbo this is free power to be had.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I just don't agree with that statement is all. I have plenty of experience with single turbos and exhaust diameters. If people are making 700+whp on doc race 3in dow pipes that have smoother bends hes not gonna have any issues making 700 750+ whp with a full 4 in there welds have zero impact on moving exhaust gasses

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I just don't agree with that statement is all. I have plenty of experience with single turbos and exhaust diameters. If people are making 700+whp on doc race 3in dow pipes that have smoother bends hes not gonna have any issues making 700 750+ whp with a full 4 in there welds have zero impact on moving exhaust gasses
Oh really dude, every joint and sharp bend impacts flow and velocity in an exhaust pipe.

Been doing this for a long time and you can easily see 20 to 50hp free extra hp by minimising this.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Oh really dude, every joint and sharp bend impacts flow and velocity in an exhaust pipe.

Been doing this for a long time and you can easily see 20 to 50hp free extra hp by minimising this.
What would be the difference in having a sharp bend going out the fender or the hood ? Seen plenty of guys running those making good power id say he's freeing up power if moving from a 3in setup or 3.5 in.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just because they do it doesn't make it the right way of doing things, if you haven't got the room then its the only way of getting it done at a sacrifice
of performance, smooth transitions and minimal welding is the best way to maximize the hp output.

Never said it wont make power but there is extra power and torque to be had by doing it properly.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah your right but I think in brules case he's really doing the best he can to free up some extra horsepower going to the 4in. Not really sure how else he would get it through that little valley otherwise. The amount of welds the really only thing I can see with them is maybe stress cracking after awhile

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is a lot of room for improvement and plenty of space for it, a 3.5 inch with smooth transitions and cleaner minimised welded joints will make more power
than a 4 inch with heaps of welds and sharp turns.

He did ask if we liked it and I'm offering free constructive criticism not to put him or his work down but to offer free advice he will benefit from.

Been doing the bottom mount kit now for 3 years and we keep learning with every revision.

We made a block plate that spreads the load of the engine mount and protects the turbo kit from possible rod failure. that we have seen.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Id be interested in seeing the block plate if possible. I would be interested if a smoother bend 3.5 downpipe would really yield gains not saying that it wouldn't id just like to see it for comparisons sake

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'll take a pic next time I'm in the shop.

The only person that could show that is the op, but I've seen this in the past on many platforms, bigger is not always better.

Whilst you might gain top end most of the time you loose performance and especially in the bottom end of the curve and a grumpier running engine as most engines like a little back pressure like we are seeing on our s65 project right now.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
A 3.5'' DP fits fine. That is what the ACF turbo kit comes with. Never understood why DR only used a 3'' pipe. The stock catback has a larger diameter when combined than the 3'' downpipe.

@Brule 's 4'' is going to flow a hell of a lot better than a 3''. Sure if you could make it smoother it would flow a 'bit' better but obviously with the space constraints that is not an option. It's not like he made it that way for fun, it was to make it fit. If he could have done it with less bends and welds I am sure he would have.

Nice to see someone trying to actually push the platform forward.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
A 3.5'' DP fits fine. That is what the ACF turbo kit comes with. Never understood why DR only used a 3'' pipe. The stock catback has a larger diameter when combined than the 3'' downpipe.

@Brule 's 4'' is going to flow a hell of a lot better than a 3''. Sure if you could make it smoother it would flow a 'bit' better but obviously with the space constraints that is not an option. It's not like he made it that way for fun, it was to make it fit. If he could have done it with less bends and welds I am sure he would have.

Nice to see someone trying to actually push the platform forward.

That is the funniest bullshit I ever heard, love the way you twist shit, neg rep to suit a statement that has nothing to do with what we where talking about.

Why don't you go back and read again what has been stated before you write that diarrhea.

There is a lot of room for improvement and plenty of space for it, a 3.5 inch with smooth transitions and cleaner minimised welded joints will make more power
than a 4 inch with heaps of welds and sharp turns.

He did ask if we liked it and I'm offering free constructive criticism not to put him or his work down but to offer free advice he will benefit from.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus