3DM E90/N54 Track Car Build

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Maybe he was a salesman ;)

As a salesman myself, likely. Not that I push people always to the more expensive solutions, but that is the likely answer and or that is what he was told as most sales people are just parrots who just repeat what they are told be it from marketing, engineering, etc.

Reactions: MDORPHN

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Regarding the KWs, I talked to the guy again, discussing the above, and here's the main points from our conversation

• V3 are not wrong for R compound, just not ideal. R compounds grip more, demanding more low speed force to control body roll.
  • V3 is desgined for road use, clubsport for road use with some trackdays (different benchmarks he said, but didn't elaborate)
  • Clubsport is lower than V3 (making them a huge no go for me personally, as I dont trailer to tracks, but this must mean stiffer springs as well)
  • He said revalving is possible, and admitted I might be better off with a custom setup.
He refuses to comment on other brands, not sure if that makes him more or less of a sales guy haha.

barry@3DM

Corporal
Jun 4, 2018
Regarding the KWs, I talked to the guy again, discussing the above, and here's the main points from our conversation

• V3 are not wrong for R compound, just not ideal. R compounds grip more, demanding more low speed force to control body roll.
  • V3 is desgined for road use, clubsport for road use with some trackdays (different benchmarks he said, but didn't elaborate)
  • Clubsport is lower than V3 (making them a huge no go for me personally, as I dont trailer to tracks, but this must mean stiffer springs as well)
  • He said revalving is possible, and admitted I might be better off with a custom setup.
He refuses to comment on other brands, not sure if that makes him more or less of a sales guy haha.

Sounds like you got some good clarification.

Your first bullet... EXACTLY. This is why I said in post #39 that "matching" valving to a spring doesn't really mean anything. Its about the force curve. There are low speed, medium speed, and high speed damper velocities (How fast your wheel moves up and down). The force related to each of those velocities can be tweaked to get a certain handling characteristic.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Only way is with LOTS of camber and just the right offset. 275s on the E46 M3 wheel which is an 18x9 wheel with 26mm offset rub a lot. (why I went with 255 for the street)

I just test mounted my 18x9.5 et40 265 rear wheels up front with a 5mm spacer, and while they just clear the strut, and it seems I have enough camber, they rub inside at full steering lock.

So definitely not a drift-ready setup lol

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
A 3DM exclusive 335iX kit is also in progress.

Is this still a thing? Curious if you've got anything else in the works for the Xi frontend. Very informative thread, thanks for putting this out there!