2017 VTT Update/New Prices

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Chris,
I'm interested in you shotgun upgrade. The only thing is I've seen some negative posts about the longevity of the hpfp used and the quality of the parts like the fuel hose provided. Do you guys plan to improve the fuel hose for example?

I'm running your GC turbos. I wonder if you guys might even do some kind of discounted offer in return for reviews? I'll be running my car at the drag strip. Should be one of the fastest in Europe where I live.

Hey brother,

The shotgun popularity is increasing significantly lately -the new housings are going to be sweet when they come in. As for the negativity; there was one old legitimate negative review out there from years ago about the housing cracking; this happened on early designs. Version 2 corrected this quite a while ago and Version 3 takes it a step further with a very slick 1 pc. unit that will be available very soon. The truth is that most of the negative guys are just doing some ad-hoc engineering guessing and confusing shooting from the hip with actual knowledge/experience -or they want to sell you a competing product. We haven't seen reduced HPFP life, but honestly if that's a concern buy one from FCP Euro and never worry again. The next argument is injectors. Get some index 12's and *most* of the time you'll be good to go as long as you aren't going over 700 whp. At 800 whp injectors start getting a little more cranky/pickly, but they'll still work fine at 700 range.

The fuel hose we use is pretty heavy duty; Tony's been using it on the shop car(s) since forever ago. Fuel hose isn't something you want to mess around with, but our application isn't some one-off use. We're well within working spec. I'm actually unaware of any concerns about that floating around. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) with some more details about what you heard and I'll just address it head on. I'm curious.

Finally, we do not pay for reviews. It's funny that you mention that, because we are often approached by people who are willing to do us a solid in exchange for discounted or free parts. This is way more common than you think and with bigger parts than fuel system pieces. I would say I probably reject at least 1-2 emails per week like that. It's just never really worked out for us. That's why we tend to encourage RESULTS, like in the stage 2/2+, $100 for the first 600/650 dyno from each turbo, respectively. Just an acknowledgement from us and appreciation. Occasionally, if you think you're an exception to the rule, we'll give a minor discount to those that we trust and have an established relationship with, but our relationships in general aren't founded on discounts as much as shared passion, integrity, and technical goals. It's how we like to roll.

Best,
Chris

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Since you are iterating on your design, is there any future desire to use a single BMW HPFP in the stock location and an aftermarket/upgraded pump in the alternate location? Allow the stock HPFP to be primary and trigger the secondary aux pump the same way you are now?

I'm thinking of something like the XDI-HPFP-60 on your belt drive mount.

Reactions: terryd5150

terryd5150

Corporal
Mar 4, 2017
Ride
2008 E92 335i 2009 E90 335i
Since you are iterating on your design, is there any future desire to use a single BMW HPFP in the stock location and an aftermarket/upgraded pump in the alternate location? Allow the stock HPFP to be primary and trigger the secondary aux pump the same way you are now?

I'm thinking of something like the XDI-HPFP-60 on your belt drive mount.

I was thinking almost the same exact thing.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The double barrel is two BMW HPFP's. In the alternate location we can utilize a pump the flows more fuel than the BMW pump. No reason to restrict ourselves unnecessarily.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I mean -it's not 100% out of the question but for most people the double barrel is more fuel than they'll need -ever. One minor correction; the oversped pump is the primary pump, always. If we use a second pump in the stock location, that is the one we control via SS controller/etc.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I just re-read things and realized I didn't address all of your comments.

As far as the XDI pumps -they look good but they're a cam driven pump. For those who are curious, here is a link:

http://www.xtreme-di.com/index_files/HPFP35.htm

This means these would operate off of some shaft that has a cam lobe. The cam lobe design and number of lobes would dictate pumps per rev and travel.

The mechanical part isn't that hard to figure out, but control could be tricky. We can control the OEM pump very easily, it would be interesting to see if we could control one of these suckers with a SS controller or better yet, the ECU.

Chris

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I just re-read things and realized I didn't address all of your comments.

As far as the XDI pumps -they look good but they're a cam driven pump. For those who are curious, here is a link:

http://www.xtreme-di.com/index_files/HPFP35.htm

This means these would operate off of some shaft that has a cam lobe. The cam lobe design and number of lobes would dictate pumps per rev and travel.

The mechanical part isn't that hard to figure out, but control could be tricky. We can control the OEM pump very easily, it would be interesting to see if we could control one of these suckers with a SS controller or better yet, the ECU.

Chris

Now you're feelin' me :)

Because of the control mechanism you'd have to switch back to the factory HPFP in the stock location being primary. And then trigger this secondary pump via *some* method. It'd be great if it could be done via the ECU directly, but I guess a SS controller would work. That's just one of several pumps out there that you guys could look through to find the "right" one. DI isn't new and lots of people are putting out custom pumps now. Since you guys have figured out how to do a secondary DI pump, theoretically you have the foundation to adapt just about any other pump that would physically fit.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
The double barrel is two BMW HPFP's. In the alternate location we can utilize a pump the flows more fuel than the BMW pump. No reason to restrict ourselves unnecessarily.
I thnik your biggest issue here is thinking even these upgraded cam driven / plunger style pumps will outflow the BMW rotary pump. Good example, the S55 has TWO cam driven HPFP's when throwing E85 at those cars, they run out of HPFP about the same power level an N54 does. So two of the plunger pumps = 1 of the rotary style pumps. For all their past issues, nothing on the market currently the is plunger style is going to out flow it.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I thnik your biggest issue here is thinking even these upgraded cam driven / plunger style pumps will outflow the BMW rotary pump. Good example, the S55 has TWO cam driven HPFP's when throwing E85 at those cars, they run out of HPFP about the same power level an N54 does. So two of the plunger pumps = 1 of the rotary style pumps. For all their past issues, nothing on the market currently the is plunger style is going to out flow it.

I'm seeing Ford's stock v6 EcoBoost DI HPFP seems to be in the same ballpark as our stock HPFP, perhaps a little more, but we can't really say it is better. Let's just call Ford's HPFP (which is $400 too just like ours) the equal of our BMW HPFP. They seem pretty comparable. Plenty vendors are getting 500hp out of their tuned EcoBoost's with upgraded turbo's. They are pushing 380hp stock.

These XDI pumps are (supposedly) outflowing their stock counterparts by 35% and 60% respectively. I can't find any independent tests, or results on these...but if the claim is correct that means the XDI-HPFP-35 should be good for around 650hp and the XDI-HPFP-60 should be good for around 800hp.

Well, this is if we believe the marketing wank being put in front of us......:D

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I'm seeing Ford's stock v6 EcoBoost DI HPFP seems to be in the same ballpark as our stock HPFP, perhaps a little more, but we can't really say it is better. Let's just call Ford's HPFP (which is $400 too just like ours) the equal of our BMW HPFP. They seem pretty comparable. Plenty vendors are getting 500hp out of their tuned EcoBoost's with upgraded turbo's. They are pushing 380hp stock.

These XDI pumps are (supposedly) outflowing their stock counterparts by 35% and 60% respectively. I can't find any independent tests, or results on these...but if the claim is correct that means the XDI-HPFP-35 should be good for around 650hp and the XDI-HPFP-60 should be good for around 800hp.

Well, this is if we believe the marketing wank being put in front of us......:D
We have the most popular turbo upgrade for the Ecoboost Mustangs by far. We have a LOT of experience with this platform. See the guys name tag in that XDI pump, we have had long phone conversations with him. Not to say that his stuff is not great for plunger style. ( literally no data to back up any claims currently) but to get the flow we needed DI only on the Mustang, guess what we did? We put an N54 HPFP on it as a secondary driven by one of our shotgun controllers. Worked perfectly, but we ran out of injector around 450WHP. The N54 pump is very high flowing pump.