2011 335is blue smoke

LazyK

Lurker
May 6, 2018
Ride
2011 Space Grey 335is Dct
Hey guys I have a 2011 335is dct with about 96k miles on it now , got it last year September with around 86k miles , first got the car did the maintenance and what not and went Fbo right after , catless downpipes , DCI , inlets & outlets and vrsf 7” intercooler , noticed some blue smoke ( obviously oil ) only on decel and in bumper to bumper traffic moving at 5 to 10 mph , in my head I’m thinking the stock turbos are gone , which is no biggie whatever .... changed the turbos I obviously went with upgraded turbos that’s what I planned on doing anyways after the stocks die out , thing is I’m still having this same issue ..... possibly valve stem seals ? Worn rings ?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Did you upgrade or at least replace the PCV system parts too? Malfunctioning or clogged PCV system can lead to smoke on it's own, not to mention causing issues with turbos draining oil

LazyK

Lurker
May 6, 2018
Ride
Did you upgrade or at least replace the PCV system parts too? Malfunctioning or clogged PCV system can lead to smoke on it's own, not to mention causing issues with turbos draining oil

Yes

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
"Yes." meaning upgraded parts of it, replaced parts, replaced the whole thing...? I dont know how familiar you are with the platform, but theres several aspects and different setups that can contribute to smoking. Also, from what I've gathered valve stem seals usually aren't a big cause or fix for smoking on the N54 like they are on some of the BMW V8s. I suppose it could be and it obviously never *hurts* to replace old parts with new ones, but it seems many people who thought it was their VS seals ended up having smoke afterwards still. Excess blowby from a ring/ring land is possible as are some other things in less common cases, but it seems like smoking issues are typically confined to a few things on these cars if they've been taken care of properly and not abused.

The N54 certainly isn't the perfect engine, but it's been around a long time now and as evidenced by hardly anyone blowing head gaskets or having similar common problems on boosted applications, I think it's usually best to double check the common culprits before throwing the big bucks at things like turbo rebuilds or sticking your fingers down the head's throat. Just my 2c though.

LazyK

Lurker
May 6, 2018
Ride
"Yes." meaning upgraded parts of it, replaced parts, replaced the whole thing...? I dont know how familiar you are with the platform, but theres several aspects and different setups that can contribute to smoking. Also, from what I've gathered valve stem seals usually aren't a big cause or fix for smoking on the N54 like they are on some of the BMW V8s. I suppose it could be and it obviously never *hurts* to replace old parts with new ones, but it seems many people who thought it was their VS seals ended up having smoke afterwards still. Excess blowby from a ring/ring land is possible as are some other things in less common cases, but it seems like smoking issues are typically confined to a few things on these cars if they've been taken care of properly and not abused.

The N54 certainly isn't the perfect engine, but it's been around a long time now and as evidenced by hardly anyone blowing head gaskets or having similar common problems on boosted applications, I think it's usually best to double check the common culprits before throwing the big bucks at things like turbo rebuilds or sticking your fingers down the head's throat. Just my 2c though.

My bad lol yes I’ve replaced pcv parts and yeah I understand I mean motor has 96k on it , I’m gonna pull the engine soon and inspect everything , and put new VS seals & piston rings , even tho I pulled spark plugs and they were all 100% dry etc , I know these motors have their little issues here and there

Zareh335

Feb 8, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i
My bad lol yes I’ve replaced pcv parts and yeah I understand I mean motor has 96k on it , I’m gonna pull the engine soon and inspect everything , and put new VS seals & piston rings , even tho I pulled spark plugs and they were all 100% dry etc , I know these motors have their little issues here and there
Any update ? Same issue? How does it smoke only when the car is hot and u rev it ?