1M build.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
What’s up. Throwing turbos into 1M. Not sure if single or twins is way to go or what’s what for going single in my car if I chose to since it’s not a common car. Anyone with any experience on this subject feel free to chime in. Thanks

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Yeah the N54 in the 1M is a very special version and you will not find tons of information in other threads ..

Reactions: Lucien316

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Welcome Lucien you finally made it here, whilst the knowledge is scarce its the best place to seek help.

Not many people have played with these cars and the ecu and traction control software is a little different.

@V8bait will be able to help you with the tuning as he did with mine when it was n54 powered, he had mine worked out nicely
but he is a busy man so be patient.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
Welcome Lucien you finally made it here, whilst the knowledge is scarce its the best place to seek help.

Not many people have played with these cars and the ecu and traction control software is a little different.

@V8bait will be able to help you with the tuning as he did with mine when it was n54 powered, he had mine worked out nicely
but he is a busy man so be patient.
Alright. Thx for the advice. I spoke w someone at reflex that makes the pi controller and they know the make of the ecu of the 1M and said it is compatible with their usage. I’m assuming that means I can run pi and hence make more power than a di set up so I wanted to explore some other options than pure stage 2s. I’ll msg the guy you recommended. Thx

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
Yeah the N54 in the 1M is a very special version and you will not find tons of information in other threads ..
Right. Thank you. I’m trying to research it but I think I already had a motor swap at one point to a non 1M N54 and it’s getting rebuilt. Just trying to see if I can make around 700 hp and undecided if I want a single or twins and which ones to get. Just poking around. Thanks

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
With a goal of 700hp you mach want to check ces motorsport single kits. Amazing stuff they created. And probably the most reliable way to get there.

Seems their manifold is very popular right now. But i think there are other single turbos guys here with more knowledge.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Alright. Thx for the advice. I spoke w someone at reflex that makes the pi controller and they know the make of the ecu of the 1M and said it is compatible with their usage. I’m assuming that means I can run pi and hence make more power than a di set up so I wanted to explore some other options than pure stage 2s. I’ll msg the guy you recommended. Thx
You could also go the PFS overdrive route if you wanted to maintain DI only. @V8bait is well acquainted with tuning those as well.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Id definitely avoid going the direct injection only route, more problems than its worth. Speedtech, ces motorsports are very good bottom mount manifolds . Doc race probably has one of the better top mount manifolds out there

dmacc

Lurker
Dec 1, 2020
Id definitely avoid going the direct injection only route, more problems than its worth. Speedtech, ces motorsports are very good bottom mount manifolds . Doc race probably has one of the better top mount manifolds out there
Are you referring to his power goal with DI only? Or potential cracked vac pumps? I've got about 5k miles on my PFS overdrive kit on my 1M with the 6266 Speedtech kit at around 26psi. Still no issues yet.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
The risk of cracking vaccum pump plates one , the additional stress on the injectors and hpfp as another factor there's a couple other reasons if you really wanted to get nitpicky

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
The risk of cracking vaccum pump plates one , the additional stress on the injectors and hpfp as another factor there's a couple other reasons if you really wanted to get nitpicky

FCP Euro has lifetime warranty on those items when they fail.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is no issues with the pfs pod in terms of failure but it will be a limiting factor to his power goal on straight e85 which he wants to run.

He is on a tight budget as he just rebuilt the motor aswell.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
There is no issues with the pfs pod in terms of failure but it will be a limiting factor to his power goal on straight e85 which he wants to run.

He is on a tight budget as he just rebuilt the motor aswell.
Hey marty, how much did you end up making hp wise when you using the POD?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
i made 630rwp to 650 on e20 but straight e85 will limit the power as it will run out of headroom a lot quicker.

How much I don't know as the hpfp is the limiting factor, as seen in the past some flow a lot better than others.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
So leaning towards a BW 7076. Contacting CES to inquire if they make a kit for this single or if it’s necessary. Want some track time with the car and seems to be the best fit, or maybe the bigger version that’s equivalent to the gtx 3584rs. Port injection. Will be running a reflex for pi but I hear it’s not capable of utilizing its ethanol content control for the N54. Anyone else heard this?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
If you want to track the car, you don´t want to aim for 700hp. You will need HUGE oil coolers and HUGE additional water coolers to even drive the car with more than 550hp on the track. If track means round curcuit.