135i LSD install. Wavetrac DIY on an early model automatic

e30gentry

Private
May 24, 2019
Ride
2008 135i 2008 CLS63 AMG 335D
What's up everyone! Here is another LSD DIY and install. This is for a bolted diff.
I got a great deal on a Wavetrac for our 2008 135i. I did an install DIY video on my channel, unfortunately a lot of the footage was corrupt. Luckily I had my lovely assistant for support and there was footage of her busting open her knuckles getting the snap ring out-she made me edit it out.
Here is my at home, on the floor DIY with basic tools process:

*Block/chock front wheels so the vehicle does not move forward.

*Jack rear of vehicle, support correctly and remove wheels.

*Remove rear section exhaust/muffler.
-Disconnect vacuum line - E8 for the mount tucked behind the bumper - 2x14mm nuts where rear section connects to mid section - 1x18mm where rear section mounts to diff
*Slightly bend the heat shield where the drive shaft goes into diff - you'll see why later.

*Loosen/remove the 6xE12 from each half shaft to diff connection, wiggle out of the way and support.
-You'll need either and great electric ratchet, air impact or lock the diff in place either by placing vehicle in gear or setting the parking brake

*Time to loosen the nut between the diff and driveshaft, this threads into the diff and is not reverse thread but you will have to turn clockwise to loosen, again because it threads into the diff, this is why you need to slightly bend that heat shield. This will be difficult as there is a form of thread locker on the threads you'll be working against.
-There are special tools to hold the driveshaft and a special tool to loosen the nut, 50mm, you can use a thinner wrench commonly found in the motorcycle industry or do what I did and grab plies that will not only fit in the tight spot but also grip without rounding off the nut

*Support the diff, this thing heavy and I imagine it can do some serious damage to you if it hits you in the face, ask for help! Remove the 3x18mm, I think all 3 were 18mm, the rear may have been different
-Now that everything is loose, diff is supported, your help or assistant is around, slowly lower the diff and wiggle out the drive shaft from the diff while lowering
*Remove both diff side seals with a pry tool.

*Remove all the diff cover to diff bolts.

*Carefully knock off the cover and drain fluid.

*Removal of the snap rings requires some patience, time and serious tools.
*-*-These snap rings are sized from the factory to set back lash, put back in the same orientation and still measure back lash or you will have some serious issues
*Remove the bearings from both sides.
-Like the snap rings, reinstall in the same orientation and side as they were removed

*Wiggle out the open diff.

*Remove the 18mm bolts that hold the ring gear to the diff
-This pertains to bolted diffs only, not the more common welded diff

*Remove both bearing races from the diff. I used a cheap beat up 3 jaw puller/rental from the local parts store.
-This is where you need to get a little creative and think outside the box. You'll notice there is no place for the puller to grab the race, take a cut off tool and notch into the diff-NOT THE RACE-and take you time and remove only whats necessary to get the puller jaws in place.
-Sweet now the pullers can grab, but how do you make this work? There is no flat surface for it pull against, just a hole! Again be creative here, I used a very small specialty socket, first thing I found that fit, and a spark plug gap measuring disc tool.
-Now you can pull the races off

*Swap over the races to the LSD
-A press is ideal, creativity over comes not having a press
-Option 1 place LSD in the freezer and races in the oven 200degF for roughly 20minutes, take diff out and where protective equipment to not burn your self and place races on the LSD, some love taps may be required
-Option 2 use a torch and heat the races and slide them onto the LSD

*Torque down the 18mm bolts for the ring gear to LSD

*Wiggle in LSD back into it's home

*Install the bearings and snap rings in the order they were removed.

*For safety measures, check back lash!

*Fill with the required fluid equivalent that the LSD requires and follow break in procedures, if any.

Now for real world review.
Do I feel any differences in normal day to day driving? - NO
Are there any noises? - Nothing abnormal, mechanical engagements can be heard or felt when P,R,D under certain circumstances
Spirited driving, track driving do I feel a difference? - YES more confident inspiring, when pushing hard or at autoX I can say there is a difference

I do not claim this DIY being able to work for you nor do I claim if you follow my instructions you will not harm yourself, others, or your vehicle.

e30gentry

Private
May 24, 2019
Ride
Two month update
Well, rona messed all autoX events near me so I can not comment what it is like in real aggressive driving situations, but in safe, spirited driving in other closed environments you can feel the difference, hard to explain you have to have pushed your vehicle or tracked your vehicle to really know the difference.
Much more confidence inspiring, hard to push while in neutral - I checked backlash prior to seal the case so I assume this is normal.

I would recommend Wavetrac and feel it will meet or exceed 90% of the drivers on here, obviously if you are trying to set lap times or a dedicated track weapon I'd recommend a customer build and lock up.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The wavetrack is my diff of choice, I was running one in my 135i when i had it.

I agree its hard to explain, it just has more grip and stays more solid and planted in a corner it just lets you do more wheres before the car felt loose
and nervous and wanted to break traction.

Love the wavetrack.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I missed this thread, thank you for posting it!

I can't compare to before hand, but yeah my wheels don't spin like glass for sure and it isn't my brakes I don't think. I had a tech buddy at the dealer install my stuff, how was it lugging that bad boy around?

e30gentry

Private
May 24, 2019
Ride
I missed this thread, thank you for posting it!

I can't compare to before hand, but yeah my wheels don't spin like glass for sure and it isn't my brakes I don't think. I had a tech buddy at the dealer install my stuff, how was it lugging that bad boy around?
Let me tell you a lot of fun!
I edited out a lot of the scary bits when handling it solo in and out.

I'm really looking for an auto event again, the last 3 months have been canceled, I'm really eager to see how bad I'll over work the factory suspension now.

Reactions: doublespaces