What's more important to a N54 engine? Ethanol or Octane rating?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
So an (at this stage) academic question..

Given you can now flex fuel a N54 with MHD and others..

What would tune better..

95 RON Octane fuel with 10% ethanol or..

98 RON Octane fuel with zero ethanol

Take it further, with a flex fuel sensor could you?

Get a really agressive tune with 98 RON fuel diluted with 100% ethanol in some ratio, varied from fill to fill?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
A couple decades ago back in college, I worked in a state lab that (among other things) tested the claimed octane values of different gasolines sold in the state. To test octane, they used variable compression ratio engines, gradually increased the compression ratio while running to find the threshold where knock began. That compression ratio was correlated with the octane value.

So the 98 ron fuel with no ethanol should have more knock resistance than the 95 ron with 10% ethanol. It also has the added benefit of stoich being at a higher AFR (due to no ethonal), placing less demand on your fuel system than a fuel containing ethanol. So between the first two, I'd run the 98 ron.

However if you add your own ethonal to the 98 ron, you'll get an even higher octane rating (more knock resistance), so you can run more aggressive tunes (as you mentioned), but the obvious trade offs of PIA factor mixing fuels, and you'll need a higher flowing fuel system due to stoich being at a lower afr with the added ethanol.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
A couple decades ago back in college, I worked in a state lab that (among other things) tested the claimed octane values of different gasolines sold in the state. To test octane, they used variable compression ratio engines, gradually increased the compression ratio while running to find the threshold where knock began. That compression ratio was correlated with the octane value.

So the 98 ron fuel with no ethanol should have more knock resistance than the 95 ron with 10% ethanol. It also has the added benefit of stoich being at a higher AFR (due to no ethonal), placing less demand on your fuel system than a fuel containing ethanol. So between the first two, I'd run the 98 ron.

However if you add your own ethonal to the 98 ron, you'll get an even higher octane rating (more knock resistance), so you can run more aggressive tunes (as you mentioned), but the obvious trade offs of PIA factor mixing fuels, and you'll need a higher flowing fuel system due to stoich being at a lower afr with the added ethanol.
Thanks for the detail…

I see my favourite fuel here in the UK is 99 Ron with 5% ethanol now..

As far as MHD tunes are concerned wondered whether I could toggle the 100 Ron option on as opposed to 98 Ron?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
You could try the 100 ron option ans see what your cirrections are like, but I bet the 99 ron has the benefits of the ethonal baked into the 99 ron rating.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
You could try the 100 ron option ans see what your cirrections are like, but I bet the 99 ron has the benefits of the ethonal baked into the 99 ron rating.
Yes for sure..anyone know how / what happens with MHD (and other tunes) if the octane rating doesn't live up to the programmed expectations?

ie is it better to underspecify or ask for the moon and get into orbit?-:)

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Lots of timing corrections if your using a lower grade fuel than what the tune is designed for

Reactions: wheela

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The MHD octane ratings are really just a guide.
The higher octane maps run similar boost but more aggressive timing. If your car runs good on a 93 octane map with no corrections then you are safe to try the 95 map.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Thnx chaps, given that my stage 2+ period will be limited pending the TTE500 turbo fitment in January I’ll stick at 98 Ron …I’ll get some dyno runs as is and with the airbox lid off and then also filter out just to see what effects they have.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Also consider not all fuels are the same quality. And in a gross sense, why so much fuel development goes on for F1 teams.

When we were tuning my car on 93 octane with 10% ethanol (before I went flex fuel) there were significant differences seen in timing retardation using various brand fuels at the same octane rating. In my case, and at least in my locale, the logs told us that Shell gas was superior.

As for ethanol - I don't know what the quality factors are. But in your case you are splashing a little bit in at most so.

But just for argument sake - the 99RON w/5% ethanol may be the best rated gas; whether it is the best gas will be demonstrated by your logs.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Also consider not all fuels are the same quality. And in a gross sense, why so much fuel development goes on for F1 teams.

When we were tuning my car on 93 octane with 10% ethanol (before I went flex fuel) there were significant differences seen in timing retardation using various brand fuels at the same octane rating. In my case, and at least in my locale, the logs told us that Shell gas was superior.

As for ethanol - I don't know what the quality factors are. But in your case you are splashing a little bit in at most so.

But just for argument sake - the 99RON w/5% ethanol may be the best rated gas; whether it is the best gas will be demonstrated by your logs.
Shell is my local station so I use it most of the time (99 Ron with 5% ethanol)…

When I dyno the car I ensure it’s on Shell and had at least a couple of tanks of the good stuff!👍🙈😂