What company for a built motor?

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
They sourced a new donor block, and new crank. Only the head, rods, and pistons came over from the ghassan motor. Even the rings were replaced.

Originally we tried to salvage the ghassan block but 2 head studs were stripped and the rest of the nuts were loose, which is why I had the coolant leak from the head gasket. There was no way to repair the stripped holes in the block as they were too close to the cooling jackets to use a time cert or big cert and so the block had to be tossed. That's why you use the PROPER length studs instead of the shorter GM studs from ARP, so exactly that does not happen. F-ing amateur hour over there at ghassan.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
That's why you use the PROPER length studs instead of the shorter GM studs from ARP, so exactly that does not happen. F-ing amateur hour over there at ghassan.
Am I understanding correctly? They used studs that weren't intended for an n54? Or is ARP saying these shorter studs can be used on an n54?

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Arp doesn't actually list studs for the n54, the studs that are the correct thread (11mm) come in 2 lengths, a shorter one used for chrysler 2.2L engines and a longer one. Many people mistakenly use the ones that are too short, you need the longer stud kit or you will strip them out. The correct length studs are 5mm longer than the 2.2L studs. VAC sells correct lenght studs but not sure if they are arp 2000, 8740, or 625+ alloy. Billiam sells ones that are 625+ (strongest alloy) and the correct length.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

ifjd073

Jul 23, 2018
Ride
2007 BMW 335 sedan
Arp doesn't actually list studs for the n54, the studs that are the correct thread (11mm) come in 2 lengths, a shorter one used for chrysler 2.2L engines and a longer one. Many people mistakenly use the ones that are too short, you need the longer stud kit or you will strip them out. The correct length studs are 5mm longer than the 2.2L studs. VAC sells correct lenght studs but not sure if they are arp 2000, 8740, or 625+ alloy. Billiam sells ones that are 625+ (strongest alloy) and the correct length.
And an engine "builder" trying to cut corners or potentially incompetent, if not both, chose the cheaper option, likely for both Shush and I. All my pistons are steam cleaned... And looking in my oil filter housing might have some thinking my oil filter snuck out to a strip club while I wasn't looking - not 100% certain what the root cause of that is. Makes me want to run a machine shop when I retire from my day job - then I'd at least know there'd be one machine shop that did things to my standard.

Reactions: wheela

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Sep 5, 2023
I had Carbahn rebuild mine. Steve Dinans new shop. Originally tried to get Billiam but he was too backed up. Carbahn was a bit pricey. I'm not sure what others charge but it was almost $15k (I paid far less for my entire car, 4 years ago).