N54 Using VANOS to remove EGR

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
I have a hard time believing that the exhaust changing would have little effect. I think you're logging the wrong things if this is the case. You should be able to see a change in WGDC vs RPM. You're either raising exhaust pressure by opening the valve early or reducing it by opening late. There should be a direct relationship to spool vs RPM seen.
And modding for a single turbo is no different that twins. Mass is Mass and Inertia is Inertia. Two or one is irrelevant.

Reactions: Shitrockn54

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
So EGR in the N54 is done via VANOS, specifically high valve overlap at cruising loads. I always change VANOS values in that range to remove overlap. Anyone else do this? Apparently, it will also prevent intake valves from getting dirty so quickly.
I know there's been discussion about this in other forums which no longer exist, so I thought I'd move the discussion over here. What are your arguments for/against?
Are you talking about Milwaukee's Vanos Thread on n54tech? https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21695

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
I have a hard time believing that the exhaust changing would have little effect. I think you're logging the wrong things if this is the case. You should be able to see a change in WGDC vs RPM. You're either raising exhaust pressure by opening the valve early or reducing it by opening late. There should be a direct relationship to spool vs RPM seen.
And modding for a single turbo is no different that twins. Mass is Mass and Inertia is Inertia. Two or one is irrelevant.
How about reducing knock events when changing exhaust table (moving)? True or false?