Universal aluminum expansion tank

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
I have a hairline crack in my 1 year plastic expansion tank. The only N54 specific AL expansion tank is made by Turner and costs $500.

I was thinking off adding in a universal expansion tank. I would have to modify the coolant level sensor and I would have to modify the thermostat hose. I would also need to make some mounting brackets.

I have not had much sleep lately, am I mad or am I on to something?

610CS1UADjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
hmm, I agree with your sentiments for wanting aluminum.

I recently had a crack/leak with my expanstion tank and I went with an OE supplier tank. It is soooooo much cheaper. I went 9 years on the original tank, 103k miles.... so it hurts to consider $300-500 tanks.

Anyway, I am interested in freeing up space on the passenger side... :D

torbearfree

Private
Jan 2, 2020
The one in my OP costs around $40 on Amazon. Its made in China. I would leak test it before installing it. The $300-$400 tanks look very nice but the price does not, at least for me.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Look around on Aliexpress. Speedwow is also only a reseller of these parts.

I have already bought parts from them and they are decent quality. But if you do your research you will find the exact same parts from a ton of other sellers and the prices vary very often a lot.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Do you have any pictures of it installed?
I installed the radium tank awhile back. See below, I also included instructions on eliminating the large cross-over hose further down.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I installed the radium tank awhile back. See below, I also included instructions on eliminating the large cross-over hose further down.

holyyyyyyyyy shit... that's a damn build. Very impressive.

Yeah, the Radium Tank looks great. šŸ˜‚