Turbo Install Errors Which Lead to Premature Failure

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
When the platform is new pcv isn't issue really but when you start getting tired motors pcv is crucial for oil draining especially when the worse the blow by the more boost is ran cause magically theirs no corrections lmao. Honestly anyone smoking should try stock tune and throw a breather to run vta as a quick your full of shit when the manufacturer blames pcv. Also if the turbos werent built like crap they wouldn't be little babies when they don't get enough oil flow , stockers run 4x shaft speed and 3x boost designed for and take it like a champ

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
How would a stock tune affect improper PCV giving positive crankcase pressure at idle? I didn't think the turbos would have issues with lack oil, but too much oil as they aren't draining properly.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Ah, now you tell me! Lol, I never put much though into anything else. I’ll look into these, I hate wiping that crap off, it seems to follow way after your done with it!

dreptroman

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Ride
E93 335i N54

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Jeffman and langsbr
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
As far as what causes premature failure, oil feed and drain line inspection/cleaning, refusal to prime turbos before first start, the biggest one is no proper boost leak check and going full send with 100% WGDC and figuring out the details later. Boost leak related problems are probably one of the most common issues I deal with. Not only do you need to perform one, you need to test the whole pressurized system, and you need to use enough pressure to make the test actually worth calling it a test vs. motherhood & apple pie (yay she held 3 psi, send it!).

There are lots of things that can present as failed turbos (read that: smoke) that aren't. PCV issues especially as these cars get older, jacked up drain lines, and then of course injectors going out can look like smoking turbos, although usually they're accompanied with some fuel related codes when that happens -not always. Actually almost thought my own turbos were going to give up the ghost on my project car, which I expected given what I've put them through. Nope, new index 12's later zero smoke, still going strong 35k in.

IMO the biggest issue really is a lack of a methodical approach to working on cars. Anyone can loosen and tighten bolts, a logical approach and some fundamentals when turning wrenches really helps maximize success with these projects. Especially for the inexperienced, I recommend slow slow slow. No hero time quotes, slow it all down and enjoy the bus ride once. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. There is nothing magical about installing turbos, it just needs to be done correctly. Same as injectors, etc. etc.

Chris

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This. Either RB and Pure don't sell any turbos or they actually make a quality product. You get what you pay for, like most things in life.

"Our turbos don't smoke"
"It's your PCV system"
"Your valves seals in your head are bad."

Strange my exhaust did not smoke before I installed your turbos. I will go rebuild my head now. <--I think they know you likely cannot afford having a shop pull and rebuild the head and reinstall. Otherwise you would have bought a single turbo if you had the extra $$$ sitting around vs. buying twins for 1/2 the cost.

I bet they love it when a customer tells them they did the install themselves. Instant: your fault you messed something up response.

What is best is the twin manufacturers giving you little to no support if you make it public on social media or the forums or demand you sign an NDA(which is 100% unenforceable mind you).

Other than a kinked oil drain there is not many errors you can make. If you have the mechanical aptitude to remove the sub-frame & stock twins you should be able to reinstall them just fine with no issues.

I think that some people may be cheapskates and ignore all the little things that matter...like they try to reuse old bolts or old gaskets or they didn't get their car 100% health bill...using old plugs, old coils, no walnut blast, etc. This will certainly lead to failure as the increased power will amplify old shortcomings of then engine.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Used turbos can be had cheap (like $100/set on craigslist). Rob@RB Turbo will rebuild with wastegates upgraded and thrust bearing upgrades, MHI CHRA for $950 shipped back to you if you pay by check or bankwire. This is about as bulletproof as one can get for $1k outlay and a buttload of swap work. Seems like a no brainer to me, for someone looking to save money. Here's what Rob told me when I pinged him last week about doing a set for another project we have going:

Here is some verbiage on our RB OEM rebuilds, which includes of course full wastegate upgrade and actuator replacement:

"These are refurbished to as new condition Genuine BMW OEM Center sections but with the added bonus of equipping with upgraded Bearing internals. We started by having some custom "larger than TD04" Thrust Upgrade hardware made to adapt into the TD03 OEM turbos ensuring that these will be better than what they were new.

Ultimately what you get are 100% OEM MHI CHRA's with all new bearings, seals, clips, and significantly beefed up thrust hardware. Both the compressor (Cast 10T compressor) and turbine wheels (TD03L-11 Blade) are the OEM wheels.

All units are component balanced down to 1mg on our in-house Schenck TB Comfort balancer, and THEN VSR balanced on our in-house CIMAT VSR to under .2g all the way to 210k RPM! This ensures absolute perfection every time, and no corners cut to meet a production quota. Each unit will come with its own Balancing Report which ensures you are not buying a lemon."

Or one can go buy the China turbos: I know - better quality parts, better quality assembly, better Q&A, better reputation, and better customer support.

Filippo

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Sounds like RBTurbos is +1 in quality assurance and quality control. Thanks for sharing.
my RB classics are going 45k miles strong, showing signs of wear recently; going to be swapping it with a speedtech bottom mount kit, but I will always buy twins from RB.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
my RB classics are going 45k miles strong, showing signs of wear recently; going to be swapping it with a speedtech bottom mount kit, but I will always buy twins from RB.
Might be worth talking with Rob to see what rebuild costs are, and if any upgrades or improvements since you bought them.

Filippo

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Might be worth talking with Rob to see what rebuild costs are, and if any upgrades or improvements since you bought them.

Filippo
I was talking to him about the potential to upgrade similarly to his super RB's, but it's around the same price point as the speedtech kit which I have been eyeing since it's announcement, as I bet I can pass CA smog with a bottom mount ST. I would never be able to smog a docrace-style top mount. Additionally, I believe going single will more efficiently utilize the headwork done on my car, even more if I get an exhaust-side cam where I am comfortable to go 7k RPM+. On top, I'm limited to either CA91 or methanol, and on pump gas I'm a lot more comfortable making power on a single turbo (I can pull up the dyno this car made on this setup, only 420whp after $10k of headwork, FBO and turbos. This car is ridiculously limited by CA91 at the moment).

P.S: I noticed your new signature, I might have to ask you for some questions or help about restoring my dad's old guitar collection I inherited, I have about 35 guitars holding in storage I need to clean up so I can sell the non-sentimentals and duplicates)

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
How would a stock tune affect improper PCV giving positive crankcase pressure at idle? I didn't think the turbos would have issues with lack oil, but too much oil as they aren't draining properly.
Cause if you vent to atmosph
ere and run 8lb boost you are limiting blowby and crank pressure and your not using the pcv cause of the breather so you can have a stinky engine bay but it's a way to isolate your issue and see if its turbos or not