Turbo flutter MMP twins

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You really want the black spring, I don't care what the Tial chart says.

Yes, 1000x over.

This gets re-hashed every 6-8 months and someone will point out that the Tial chart would indicate the plain spring is the right one for the N54. Use the black, shim if it being open at idle bothers you (it doesn't bother me), and use a dedicated line.

But Chris, the Tial site says...

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I already have all the supporting mods. I ordered a tial so I dont need that reducer fitting thing to make it work.

Thanks. My CP, and bov are ready for pickup tomorrow it sounds like. I will pick them up and take the car out again when I get a chance.

But what I dont understand is why did i not have this issue on stock turbos? Im still only doing 15ish PSI. Shouldn't it be the same?

Your boost PSI has nothing to do with the spring rate psi. One is positive boost pressure the other is vacuum state. They are not to be confused. You must know your specific car's vacuum level and get the spring that is congruent to that vacuum.

• Informative
Reactions: tisdrew

Jordi992

Feb 3, 2018
Ride
2009 e92 335i
I ordered a TiAL, I dont think it comes with a black spring (said 10psi spring). Where should I order a spring from?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
On the Tialsport spring - there are "aftermarket" springs ... fakes ... they say they are Tialsport and are not. If you want the real deal, buy from an authorized Tialsport dealer.

Unfortunately Tialsport is the land of fakes, yet ironically the company does not provide any way to search for authorized dealers or provide a dealer list - great way to promote a fake industry around their products. FWIW you can order on Amazon, but go to the listing of sellers for the product - Automods is an authorized vendor, $27 gets it to your door with Prime.

Filippo

Last edited:
Reactions: matreyia
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We have the black spring on site.

5667864A-F4FA-486A-B380-96AA26C77209.jpeg

Reactions: fmorelli

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I ordered a TiAL, I dont think it comes with a black spring (said 10psi spring). Where should I order a spring from?

Well, I have a black and unpainted spring if you want to pay for shipping and packing I can send it for a reduced price. Let me know. I don't remember how much they cost, will look in my records.

VT

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
For us guys that bought with 11 psi spring should we bother changing if not having any issues. Like could this help spikes on shift or help hold boost. Top gear and others have always pushed the heavier spring and I know just cause it works doesn't mean it's best im just curious what improvements the lighter spring could make if not having issues with current spring?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
For us guys that bought with 11 psi spring should we bother changing if not having any issues. Like could this help spikes on shift or help hold boost. Top gear and others have always pushed the heavier spring and I know just cause it works doesn't mean it's best im just curious what improvements the lighter spring could make if not having issues with current spring?

I think the confusion is because the springs are rated in psi, but they are talking about vacuum, which we typically (at least in the US) as inHg. 11 psi of vacuum is 22 inHg. You ideally want the spring around where the car idles at. If your car doesn't hit 22inHg when you shift, then yes, you should bother changing or you aren't getting it to open fully/properly/bestest. Don't forget that 1/4 source - that is a YUGE component for the Tial to operate correctly.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I think the confusion is because the springs are rated in psi, but they are talking about vacuum, which we typically (at least in the US) as inHg. 11 psi of vacuum is 22 inHg. You ideally want the spring around where the car idles at. If your car doesn't hit 22inHg when you shift, then yes, you should bother changing or you aren't getting it to open fully/properly/bestest. Don't forget that 1/4 source - that is a YUGE component for the Tial to operate correctly.

Yes and no. Everything is correct here except the idle part.

MHD monitoring shows -8.8 to -9.8 psi at idle depending on conditions. However let off the pedal completely above 2k rpm and it's consistently -11.1, -11.2 psi. Idle isn't high enough rpm for full engine vacuum. That's why IMO you should be running the 11 psi spring and only change it for a softer one if you have issues and everything else is done right.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and langsbr

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Yes and no. Everything is correct here except the idle part.

MHD monitoring shows -8.8 to -9.8 psi at idle depending on conditions. However let off the pedal completely above 2k rpm and it's consistently -11.1, -11.2 psi. Idle isn't high enough rpm for full engine vacuum. That's why IMO you should be running the 11 psi spring and only change it for a softer one if you have issues and everything else is done right.
But this is what I'm trying to get what is the benefit of heavier spring or lighter spring if they both open when you lift throttle? Is it a case of the lighter spring may not close fast enough when throttle blade opens again or the light one will keep turbos spinning faster on quick shift?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
But this is what I'm trying to get what is the benefit of heavier spring or lighter spring if they both open when you lift throttle? Is it a case of the lighter spring may not close fast enough when throttle blade opens again or the light one will keep turbos spinning faster on quick shift?

Lighter is better than heavier. The spring pushes the valve close against the cp air pressure. Therefore, a lighter spring will react and release faster than a heavier spring. Too heavy a spring and your BOV will not even open at throttle release.