Transmission limp mode

1Lucky1

Sep 12, 2020
Hello. I have a 2007 BMW 335i coupe. When I push further on the gas pedal and it kicks down in passing gear, usually around 75 mph, it goes into some type of safety mode and there's no gear until I drop below 40mph. Then I have to pull over and shut it off for 10 seconds and it resets. Took to a reputable mechanic, but no codes, Seems to only happen when engine oil is around 240 degrees. It does give me gear symbol in yellow with exclamation mark, until I shut it off. All gears work fine, as long as I don't get into it and it only happens intermittently. .It is an automatic. Appreciate any ideas and thank you for your time. Feel free to ask any questions.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Hello. I have a 2007 BMW 335i coupe. When I push further on the gas pedal and it kicks down in passing gear, usually around 75 mph, it goes into some type of safety mode and there's no gear until I drop below 40mph. Then I have to pull over and shut it off for 10 seconds and it resets. Took to a reputable mechanic, but no codes, Seems to only happen when engine oil is around 240 degrees. It does give me gear symbol in yellow with exclamation mark, until I shut it off. All gears work fine, as long as I don't get into it and it only happens intermittently. .It is an automatic. Appreciate any ideas and thank you for your time. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hard to say without more info. Could be low fluid, could be a seal or solenoid issue. I just rebuilt the mechatronic unit on mine and new seals myself. Cost is about 700 in parts. Easy to do if your mechanically inclined.