Tesla mops up the streets

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Well -they still can't compete with the pro's as far as drag racing. Not even close. In time though... as for the execution of those that had differing points of view... perhaps time to go for a walk and enjoy nature? lol

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nope, I've got it all planned out. Guillotine, but I'm going to drop it from only a couple feet up, so it will need dropped a few times to finish the job.

jsandor91

Jan 3, 2018
Ride
N54 LCI E90
How does a P90D or P100D hold up in a roll race? obviously they are hard to touch from a dig. I imagine a 40 or 60 roll would be a different story.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
How does a P90D or P100D hold up in a roll race? obviously they are hard to touch from a dig. I imagine a 40 or 60 roll would be a different story.

Not nearly as well. A lot of electric cars have no transmission or just 1-2 gears, so staying in that max torque zone is the opposite from traditional engines.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I think the advancement of electric is pretty awesome. Holds promise for the future of hydrogen fuel cell powered electrics, which is really the future and where we be in 20-50 years, or maybe less. These EVs are just a stepping stone to the real future.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think the advancement of electric is pretty awesome. Holds promise for the future of hydrogen fuel cell powered electrics, which is really the future and where we be in 20-50 years, or maybe less. These EVs are just a stepping stone to the real future.

What makes you believe that?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What makes you believe that?

universal fuel capacity. Need to be able to "fill up" in a minute or two. Then need to have the same charging port universally and every station the same. OR, use a fuel cell to generate electricity, and just have fuel storage and dispersal stations like we currently do for gas. Which one is more if a logistical nightmare? Can't even fathom what the startup cost would be for a station with 20 superchargers for EVs, then put those in every 25miles all the way down the interstate? Holy shit.

Fuel stations work well now, no need to reinvent the method, just the product sold.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
universal fuel capacity. Need to be able to "fill up" in a minute or two. Then need to have the same charging port universally and every station the same. OR, use a fuel cell to generate electricity, and just have fuel storage and dispersal stations like we currently do for gas. Which one is more if a logistical nightmare? Can't even fathom what the startup cost would be for a station with 20 superchargers for EVs, then put those in every 25miles all the way down the interstate? Holy shit.

Fuel stations work well now, no need to reinvent the method, just the product sold.

I spend most of my day reading and curating electric technology content so I kind of consider it my job to know about these things and fuel cell technology is going no where any time soon.

It appears your main reason for believing in fuel cell is because of refilling infastructure? Because charge times are largely irrelevant in the near future. In a few minutes you could have thousands of miles of range with a large enough battery. If you recall, the first 1/2 of a battery charges very rapidly. Super capacitors charge almost instantaneously. Battery technology has an incredible amount of advancement it can and will make, so charge times are not an issue.

But even if this wasn't true, you can pump an aqueous battery solution onto a car just like any normal fuel. Electricity by itself is infinitely cheaper and easier to transport and create in the long run than trucking around hydrogen not to mention how poor the performance potential is compared to a pure EV.

Most fuel stations you visit have 20+ stalls? I don't see that except for the big name fuel stations, and even then it's probably a dozen of them? Most fuel stations around the country probably have 10 or fewer pumps I would think?

Electric cars will be adopted over time, it's not an instantaneous change, just like how the current fuel infrastructure grew along with vehicle growth. It will start out with people who live in houses, that is already the current state. My fuel station is my driveway. I run the cord under my garage door. The only people needing a station are those who are traveling, and that will be required less and less. Electric cars will routinely have ranges over 500 miles. And the others will be those who live in apartments or other city dwellers who are stuck between a house and city life where a house is unrealistic. That segment already forgoes a car as is and will take public transportation and many never even own cars at all. In the future, I'd expect that trend to continue to be the case. Cars being for those with homes and dedicated areas.

Never say never but fuel cells are not going to be the main stream before I'm dead. I keep up with the news and I know just how many billions of dollars are spent on charging networks. I report about it almost daily.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Names off the cuff:
Chargepoint
Electrify America
MEGA-E
FLEX-E
Ionity
Ultra-E

I was going to write a whole post about them but it's just a mixture of networks in Europe and the USA and other markets. If you doubt that they are going to be built, you're wrong. They are being built right now to satisfy demand as it rises.

Also you should take a look at the investments that virtually every auto maker is betting on electric vehicles. Virtually none is invested into fuel cell tech. Take a gander at the commas involved and you'll see where I'm coming from. This is from ford to Bmw to mercedes, nissan, everyone.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also, regarding plug standards, there are several already in place for different regions and adapters are available. Porsche for example uses the ccs connector on the Mission E and can charge 250 miles of range in 15 minutes at 800 volts. That is today, not to mention in twenty or thirty years from now :)

MasterC17

Private
Jan 19, 2018
Ride
2002 BMW M3
I work for Tesla and can attest (from my obviously completely unbiased opinion) that Hydrogen Fuel Cell's are a complete joke.

Nonetheless, electric cars have and will continue to evolve rapidly and for the better. Trust me, five years from now hydrogen won't even be in the conversation.

I drive from MA to NC frequently. It takes me about 10 hours in my X5 35d. In a Tesla it takes about 11.5. The difference is negligible. For around town, an electric car is the clear winner. Being able to "gas up" at home every night is fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ICE cars, but for day to day driving I'll take an electric car every time.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I work for Tesla and can attest (from my obviously completely unbiased opinion) that Hydrogen Fuel Cell's are a complete joke.

Nonetheless, electric cars have and will continue to evolve rapidly and for the better. Trust me, five years from now hydrogen won't even be in the conversation.

I drive from MA to NC frequently. It takes me about 10 hours in my X5 35d. In a Tesla it takes about 11.5. The difference is negligible. For around town, an electric car is the clear winner. Being able to "gas up" at home every night is fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ICE cars, but for day to day driving I'll take an electric car every time.
I run the largest Model Y group... Are you allowed to moderate social media groups like that? Would love to have you around if you have a Facebook presence.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/modely/

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i

If that X5d is deleted - I’ll bet you can make that trip without having to stop for fuel too....