Spark Plug broke in half, thread stuck in socket still.

speedbee13

Private
Dec 13, 2021
Wake Forest, NC
Ride
2010 BMW 335i e92
I was torqueing down my plugs, and one of them snapped in half and now the metal part of the plug is stuck in the socket still. They are NGK 97968 plugs.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I have a buddy who has a torque wrench that looks IDENTICAL to the one in the pic. He had a problem overtightening bolts that only needed 25lb ft for the reason I stated above. 17 would be much worse to "feel" because at 25 it still does not "click" but you can "feel" when it hits it.
Trick is to do it SLOWLY otherwise it clicks (stupid softly) and you continue tightening.
Other people just do not understand how a torque wrench works. I met a guy who thought the wrench would just stop on its own when desired torque was reached. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reactions: wheela

speedbee13

Private
Dec 13, 2021
Wake Forest, NC
Ride
2010 BMW 335i e92
I have a buddy who has a torque wrench that looks IDENTICAL to the one in the pic. He had a problem overtightening bolts that only needed 25lb ft for the reason I stated above. 17 would be much worse to "feel" because at 25 it still does not "click" but you can "feel" when it hits it.
Trick is to do it SLOWLY otherwise it clicks (stupid softly) and you continue tightening.
Other people just do not understand how a torque wrench works. I met a guy who thought the wrench would just stop on its own when desired torque was reached. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Yeah i was waiting for a click. I'm buying a digital torque wrench cause this one is meant for higher torque.

Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93