Some 535i questions

Kiwi_Bmw

Oct 2, 2020
Since the USA was lucky enough to get the E60/61 with the N54 twin turbo option, I have some questions.

Where is the engine ECU located?
Are the downpipes for the 335i the same as the 535i?

I have looked and the 535i N54 and thought it would make an awesome combination, lighter than a V8 with pretty good power and when tuned better than the V8's.
Only problem is they weren't available here, and would really like a right hand drive for a daily driver.

Thought

Take a E60, add RHD LCI wiring harness, import damaged E60 535i take all the ECU's and the engine/trans and fit it to the rhd E60

Retrofit and code as required..........sounds simple doesn't it.

Apart from not having done any coding previously the only bit that may require customisation are the downpipes as the steering is on that side, although the 335i came as rhd, which makes me wonder if the 335i downpipes would fit the E60 chassis.

Some of the things I would rather keep are the unclutered original kph speedo, the US version looks so cluttered with both mph & kph.

I've recently retrofitted Logic 7 and HUD to the E60 and was looking at doing the CIC and combox, updating the electrics to LCI would make that easier.

Thoughts, comment???

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Start with a little bit of research. They actually make downpipes specifically for your car. Very easy to find. Also I really hope you can find the ECU aka DME in the BMW world. So you have the sedan (E60) or hatch (E61)? Are you in the US?Welcome! Enjoy the car!

Kiwi_Bmw

Oct 2, 2020
I have a Euro built right hand drive E60, the DME would come from the donor US E60, as I'm thinking of importing a complete damaged US E60 535i for the parts.

The right hand drive has the steering on the exhaust side, so at this stage I'm unsure if downpipes that are built for the US spec left hand drive E60 will clear the right hand drive steering.
Perhaps the right hand drive E90 downpipes will fit, I suppose only trying it will show me if it works as I haven't found anyone else that has done what I'm proposing.