Technical Setting N54 Timing - Flywheel Question

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I'm in the process of changing my valve stem seals and have a quick question about engine timing.

Is the locking pin hole in the flywheel always accurate? Could it be thrown off by incorrect flywheel installation?

I ask because when I set TDC using the flywheel pin the camshafts are very slightly off TDC but if I lock the cams down the pin cant be inserted at all.

Is it more likely that whoever had the cams off last didn't set them exactly at TDC using the correct tools and the engine has been running slightly out of timing? I assume being a couple of degrees out wouldn't cause any errors.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Well I just went by the flywheel and re-timed everything using some china tools and it fired up fine and runs well. Was probably just running a degree out before, not enough to throw codes.

I think the garage that worked on it last were idiots without the right tools.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Well I just went by the flywheel and re-timed everything using some china tools and it fired up fine and runs well. Was probably just running a degree out before, not enough to throw codes.

I think the garage that worked on it last were idiots without the right tools.
Or the vanos bolts were not torqued correctly …

Reactions: carabuser

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Or the vanos bolts were not torqued correctly …
Yeh I think that's what happened. I don't think they used the VANOS locking tool when torquing the cam bolts.

I did some reading across the internet and it seems that some shops just try and hold the cams in place with a wrench and then torque the bolts down. If a hobbyist like me can do the job using £100 of tools then there's really no excuse.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
There are 2 holes right next to each other on the flywheel, one is the timing pin hole and the other is not but they are so close together it's hard to tell which one is correct. If the correct hole is pinned, you will have absolutely zero play in the crank shaft.