RESOLVED: Low Boost N54

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
e89 z4 35i, Mk7.5 Gti, 02 Wrx
Hey guys, recently had my VTT Stage 2's installed and things were great. Drove the car around town and to work a couple days no problem. However today while cruising down the highway after passing a couple cars the reduced power light became illuminated. I then pulled over and reset the car. The light disappeared, but then I noticed that the car just didn't feel the same, later to realize that its making no boost. Light returned after a pull with more that 50% throttle.
Now, I'm not quite certain as to whats occurring 30ff code observed, no misfires,etc. Drives relatively normal, just very low boost. Was hoping that someone could help steer me in the right direction. I visually inspected the vacuum lines but could not immediately find anything wrong, and the engine is still way too hot to mess around too much.

Thanks in advance, and I'll be looking fwd to more insight. Bare with me as I'm still learning about this platform. Thanks again.

Reef

Last edited:

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
I think so.... It almost sounds/feels as though only one of the snails are actually doing the do. Ill try to get the car on a lift today so that I can check it all out.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
Throttle body clamp flew off somehow. New part ordered and should be in tomorrow. Thanks guys.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
So this issue is unfortunately still ongoing. Picked the car up from my indie speedshop and the car still isnt making enough boost. 30ff code and the reader is indicating that the charge air pressure is too low.

Im a bit stumped, but refuse to let it beat me up too bad. Vacuum lines are relatively new, I will still look them over (again), and the boost leak test revealed that the system appears to be holding pressure.

The waste gates have started to rattle (500miles after install), and based on a few google searches, ive found out that boost related issues may result in this occurring. Any ideas brethren? I am aware that the boost solenoids may be my next step, but i dont want to just throw parts at the problem. Im going to dig deeper later after work. This is holding me back from getting tuned!!!
Thanks in advance,
Reef

Last edited:

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
Take off your downpipes and inspect the turbos to see if they are blown.

You should also check out your inlets (if you have them) to see if they aren't collapsing.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
Ordered new new boost solenoids, and a meter of vacuum line. Throwing parts at it, seeing that this would still be less expensive than paying the labor for another install. I'll then have my bmw dealership look it all over (yikes).
Worst case scenario the turbos are shot. Im a reasonable guy, so as mentioned before I'll try to eliminate every possible point of failure before claiming they are no good. Will keep you all informed as I go along. 🙏🙏

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
*Update*

Replaced both boost solenoids with oem replacements to no avail, that being said I'll be dropping the car off at the dealer on Tuesday to have it "professionally" diagnosed.
I'll find out once and for all the root cause my boost issue then if all goes well.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
Dropped the car off this past Tuesday at the dealer and they were able to find that the c-clip associated with the front bank turbo wastegate actuator rod had let loose/flew off somehow. As a result the wastegate was unable to properly function, as is was just flapping around. So In short, bank 1 was unable to hold boost.

I'll be taking the car back to my indie to have them drop the sub frame and take a closer look. We will then see if we can fix the issue by replacing the missing component (C-Clip).

For what its worth I think this is relatively good news as it could've been far worse right? I'll continue to update this thread as I progress.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
So we finally got this resolved yesterday, and the vehicle is now functioning as it was before the issue. It has been a long nail biting road, but I am thrilled that it was something relatively "small."

If there's anyone lurking that is affiliated with the production of these snails, I highly advise that you guys QC these c-clips as im still quite surprised that this occurred in the first place. Also take note of the fact that I took care of it without directly contacting or bashing.

Thanks for the input from all of whom took the time to respond, and all the best going forward.

Now its time to get the Z tuned!

-Reef

Attachments

• IMG-20200715-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200715-WA0002.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 484