N55 Parts Interchangeability

Beygan

Sep 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i N55
Hi all, did a search and found nothing.

i’d like to ask if anybody has a clue about the interchangeability of parts between the engine variants on the N55?

Question being, I’ve got the earliest variant code number B30M0, and I know the engine’s been upgraded over the years.

I’m looking to upgrade and keep my current ‘base’ model, and while knowing of much support from tuners on the ‘11 N55, I really don’t have much room to do much.

Does anybody know if internals from newer, more powerful variants would fit if I were to conduct a retrofit experiment?

For example, instead of literally buying an M2 or M135i, I’d like to source out the forged pistons and crankshafts from such models and their respective engines of variant N55, in order to prepare my M0 for, much, higher output. Obviously most of us know it’s easy to insert the PS2’s and gain some good ground but that’s just me for gazing a bit further.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Hi all, did a search and found nothing.

i’d like to ask if anybody has a clue about the interchangeability of parts between the engine variants on the N55?

Question being, I’ve got the earliest variant code number B30M0, and I know the engine’s been upgraded over the years.

I’m looking to upgrade and keep my current ‘base’ model, and while knowing of much support from tuners on the ‘11 N55, I really don’t have much room to do much.

Does anybody know if internals from newer, more powerful variants would fit if I were to conduct a retrofit experiment?

For example, instead of literally buying an M2 or M135i, I’d like to source out the forged pistons and crankshafts from such models and their respective engines of variant N55, in order to prepare my M0 for, much, higher output. Obviously most of us know it’s easy to insert the PS2’s and gain some good ground but that’s just me for gazing a bit further.

You might want to start with doing some research into what the differences are...

All n5x pistons are hypereutectic (cast). The forged m235i crankshaft is a direct swap but is costly. Not something you would do at all unless you are shooting for 700whp+. I would source a good n54 crank instead though as they can be found used much cheaper.

There is nothing else to "swap over." You would want to build the engine with aftermarket rods and pistons.

Beygan

Sep 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i N55
You might want to start with doing some research into what the differences are...

All n5x pistons are hypereutectic (cast). The forged m235i crankshaft is a direct swap but is costly. Not something you would do at all unless you are shooting for 700whp+. I would source a good n54 crank instead though as they can be found used much cheaper.

There is nothing else to "swap over." You would want to build the engine with aftermarket rods and pistons.

Thanks, that brings me to some further questions..

regarding the N54 to N55 plausibility, just how similar are these two engines?
Do they utilize the same crankshaft and other components as implied and is this confirmed? Reason being, there isn’t much support for at least the early N55 platform, or much confirmation of it.
I found forged pistons on market that labels N55, but we all know how broad that code determination really is to this day.

so...based on what you’ve said, is it safe to assume, or presume that N54 developed forged parts would fit the N55, the one found on the 2011 335i E90?

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Thanks, that brings me to some further questions..

regarding the N54 to N55 plausibility, just how similar are these two engines?
Do they utilize the same crankshaft and other components as implied and is this confirmed? Reason being, there isn’t much support for at least the early N55 platform, or much confirmation of it.
I found forged pistons on market that labels N55, but we all know how broad that code determination really is to this day.

so...based on what you’ve said, is it safe to assume, or presume that N54 developed forged parts would fit the N55, the one found on the 2011 335i E90?

Everyone that makes an n54 piston and rod also makes an n55 piston and rod...

Both engines are virtually the same. Some minute differences. So would help to determine what your goals are... no reason at all to put an n54 in an n55 vehicle if thats what you're asking. That's just dumb. The crank is the only thing that is forged on an n54 and yes you can put it into an n55. Just need to swap over the n54 crank position sensor and damper as well possibly.

Not sure what you mean that there "isnt much support" for early n55.