N54 FOB Stage 2+ data log

Nathan Lee 13

Mar 14, 2023
Southampton
Ride
2008 E93 335i M-Sport
Hi All,

I just joined and this is my first post so take it easy on me.

Late to the N54 party but got my first one recently and have done the FOB and MHD stage 2+ with Xhp stage 3.

As I’m new to this and datalogging hoping people could have a look at the one I have uploaded and let me know if all running as it should?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 2, 2022
Welcome. I think you can link your log here.

Note: I’m not super familiar with MHD ots maps so unsure of the supporting mods required and what’s normal vs not. Also I’m running a custom jb4 BEF for full disclosure. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows a whole lot more than me.

First thing, log a good pull: 3rd gear full throttle 2400 to 6500 rpm for now. Before you do this, you’ll need to step the tune back based on what I see. Maybe 1+ then check before you move up.

You’ve got moderate to major fueling concerns that need to be sorted. Both low pressure (low needs to be above 50) and rail pressure is crashing (I wouldn’t want to see this below 1000). Fuel trims are maxed. This is likely pointing to hardware issues or your supporting mods can’t support the tune.

Nathan Lee 13

Mar 14, 2023
Southampton
Ride
2008 E93 335i M-Sport

Note: I’m not super familiar with MHD ots maps so unsure of the supporting mods required and what’s normal vs not. Also I’m running a custom jb4 BEF for full disclosure. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows a whole lot more than me.

First thing, log a good pull: 3rd gear full throttle 2400 to 6500 rpm for now. Before you do this, you’ll need to step the tune back based on what I see. Maybe 1+ then check before you move up.

You’ve got moderate to major fueling concerns that need to be sorted. Both low pressure (low needs to be above 50) and rail pressure is crashing (I wouldn’t want to see this below 1000). Fuel trims are maxed. This is likely pointing to hardware issues or your supporting mods can’t support the tune.
Thanks for the comments, so I’ve got a 2008 E93 that I picked up about a month and half ago, it was completely stock and since I have added upgraded intetcooler, Masata DCI’s, Masata charge pipe, Evolve Decat pipes and 1 step cooler NGK’s.

I did notice that the rail pressure dropped way below what it should on hard pulls (from what I’ve managed to learn the past couple weeks as I’m completely new to tuning) will definitely flash down do a couple good pulls and hope to see better results.

decade335i

Mar 21, 2023
Thanks for the comments, so I’ve got a 2008 E93 that I picked up about a month and half ago, it was completely stock and since I have added upgraded intetcooler, Masata DCI’s, Masata charge pipe, Evolve Decat pipes and 1 step cooler NGK’s.

I did notice that the rail pressure dropped way below what it should on hard pulls (from what I’ve managed to learn the past couple weeks as I’m completely new to tuning) will definitely flash down do a couple good pulls and hope to see better results.
Are you running an ethanol tune, ie.. e30 or e50

Nathan Lee 13

Mar 14, 2023
Southampton
Ride
2008 E93 335i M-Sport

I’ve done more logs with stage 1+ and I’m getting the same fuel issues, also when I get to just over 6k rpm the car keeps going to limp with both these codes.
29DC - DME: Cylinder injection cutout.

- DME shadow (inactive) codes -
2AAF - DME: Fuel pump, plausibility.

Is it likely the engine is going into limp mode because it’s not getting enough fuel? Where do I start with diagnosing which part to replace? Very new to dealing with fuel pumps which from what I’ve read is a common theme with new N54 owners.

Jun 2, 2022
You have fuel pressure issues. Why…is anyone’s guess but it’s likely one or both of the pumps, regulator, and/or ekpm. At stage 1 you shouldn’t be having fueling issues on pump gas.

Monitor your trims, low pressure, and rail pressure along with logging a proper pull (only if your car is running fine otherwise). This should help you narrow it down or identify the issue. It sounds like you have the logs. You’ll need to research what’s normal and go from there. Low pressure should be between 60-70 through the entire pull. High pressure is typically mapped to run 2500+ at wot and taper at the high end of the rev band.

It sounds like you are trying to get to stage 2+ ots. For that you will need at minimum of an inline pump upgrade for pump gas or an in tank upgrade. This would be my first move as it’s not throwing parts at the problem since you’ll need it anyway (I run a bucketed 535 from PFS and have plenty of flow…pr, bmp, and Fuel-It are other excellent sources). See what this does and go from there. If I continue to have issues with low pressure then it’s likely the ekpm. Then you can move on to the high pressure side.