N54 coolant sensor ?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So, took the slow mobile out today. After leaving a drive thru, I got a warning of high coolant temps. I look down at my jb4 app and indeed, water temp shows 233°F. Then it drops to 206. So I drive off and it literally jumps from 186, to 206, to 23x then back down to 209 and settles there. Then on my way home, same thing. Jumps to 230s then in 1 second down to 186, then the next second 199.
I am thinking coolant sensor as the wp and thermostat were replaced about 12k miles ago.
Also the fan never kicked on full blast like a wp failure.
No codes, not even shadow.
Thoughts ?
Also on the N54, where is the sensor located ?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
No idea. Change the sensor. It is in the Head

No.7

Yeah, I foumd the sensor just a few minutes after posting this. Replaced it and it is more stable, but still fluctuates quite a bit. No ses or anything though.
Looked at some old logs and its always done this though. Yesterday was strange because it threw the ses, I saw tenps stuck at 233°F And it gave me a warning on I drive.
No codes and temp dropped as fast as they went up.
Anyway, thanks for responding. I took the car out last night and so far, so good.
Confused on why oil and trans temps do not behave that way. Those are always more stable in logs.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Here is the old one.
20211009_154549_copy_4500x6000.jpg

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Any chance you have air bubbles in your coolant system? I can imagine air bubbles resulting in this kind of behavior. Just to be sure check coolant level cold, and operate electric coolant pump bleed procedure: heater fan lowest, highest temp, foot on pedal 10sec. Open cap and watch coolant flow into expansion tank.

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Any chance you have air bubbles in your coolant system? I can imagine air bubbles resulting in this kind of behavior. Just to be sure check coolant level cold, and operate electric coolant pump flush procedure: heater fan lowest, highest temp, foot on pedal 10sec. Open cap and watch coolant flow into expansion tank.
I thought the same thing but last years logs show same behavior, just never triggered any warnings in I drive.
Took the car out for a nice drive yesterday and all was fine. Maybe just the sensor was about to go. I will re-bleed the system tomorrow but dont see how it would get any bubbles in the first place.
Last thing I had done months ago was mickey mouse flange and bled the system back then.
Thanks for the response !