MHD - Stage 2 - Timing correction on track

JoeO

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Interested to know what the MHD experts think of the timing corrections.
Data is here:
Data
Stock except for down-pipe, CSF radiator, water injection (5GPH), no AC.

I've been experimenting with race render + MHD + Aim solo. I'm delighted by the results:

I'm planning on trying 1-step colder plugs and running the 91 octane map instead of 93.
Thanks!

-Joe

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Hi Joe,

would be easier to tell having a log with one clean pull. Usually you do a 3rd or 4th gear pull from 2,5k to redline.

JoeO

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. It is possible to zoom in on the graph to view individual pulls, but not from so low in the rev range. Typically, on track, the engine is never in those ranges, so I'm not all that concerned with what happens there? Perhaps that's misguided. I was at VIR recently, but with 1 step colder NGK plugs. The car miss fires during cold starts since going to those plugs, but once warm, it runs well.
Data is here:
Data

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Most of the misfires happen when going off throttle, which is quite normal. Only a few corrections on WOT to see. Colder plugs on a track driven car are a must have. Also the biggest available intercooler. But with the Water Injection installed you should be good. Have you tried to mix meth with water?

Edit: Have you gapped the plugs?

JoeO

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, plugs were gapped. I have a larger intercooler (amazon special), but didn't go biggest because they block the radiator; I would be concerned that it may cause coolant overheating issues (have the CSF radiator). The biggest thing that helped with lowering temperatures was removing the A/C condenser.
I never had cold start misfires with the factory 4 prong plugs.

I am wondering if using a meth/water mix would help, and potentially allow me to run the stage 2 *93* octane map vs the 91.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
As far as i remember there is a checkbox on MHD to disable multispark. Check that.

I never had issues with the 1 step colder plugs... and i had cold start deactivated as well. I am sure you should be able to use the current 93 oct map at least with a 50:50 wmi mix. I guess you need to figure out what mixtures the engine likes the most.

JoeO

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you! I will check for those settings. Yes, think I'll start trying a 50/50 mix; see how it goes. Wondering if I can get to 0 timing corrections with a 50/50 mix.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Yes, plugs were gapped. I have a larger intercooler (amazon special), but didn't go biggest because they block the radiator; I would be concerned that it may cause coolant overheating issues (have the CSF radiator). The biggest thing that helped with lowering temperatures was removing the A/C condenser.
I never had cold start misfires with the factory 4 prong plugs.

I am wondering if using a meth/water mix would help, and potentially allow me to run the stage 2 *93* octane map vs the 91.
According to my testing it is worth the trade off to have a larger FMIC, although it covers some of the radiator. Your coolant looks fine in the log, and I would not expect it to go up much if running a larger fmic. Ambient temps would play a larger role in my experience. On the other hand, your iats should drop significantly if you can increase the frontal area of the fmic. It is also much safer to lower iats rather than adding meth. But at 300cc your nozzle might be a bit large for 100% water though...

In the end I would probably use a stage 1 or lower octane tune when going on track. Then go back to stage 2 for street. The few extra hp offer diminishing return on track in terms of laptime, but the component stress is probably exponential.

JoeO

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you Asbjorn. What testing have you done with a larger FMIC?

Last edited: