Is it always OK to use dielectric grease on electrical connectors?

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Hey all - Is it a bad idea to use dielectric grease on low voltage electric connectors such as the fuel pump, injector, and Boost solenoid connectors?

I just replaced my valve cover and had greased pretty much everything involving wiring points.
For some reason Im now getting HPFP codes which seems like too strong of a coincidence.

Is it possible the grease is adding too much resistance and was a poor call? e.g - could the HPFP sensor be sending incorrect readings?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
AFAIK it can't hurt to add dielectric grease on electrical connectors. We do this at my work on 'low voltage(under 600V-1500V DC) connections in capital equipment machines all the time. Licensed electricians use it often. I don't see why on smaller connections this is an issue. People use dielectric grease on spark plugs all the time as an automotive example.

That being said, you still need to make sure you are getting good connectivity. The grease can't get in the way of a good connection.

That being said is it really needed? Most automotive connections don't require any dielectric grease. It should not hurt, again if it is making good contact. The grease just keeps out, air, moisture, and all the other 'crap'. Great to prevent oxidization, which is what it is primarily used for.

The NEC code allows you to apply de-ox etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheObjectivist